929 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
veltsy86
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm working an automation where I need to compare a numerical value(s) within the same column.  When data is imported to Airtable, it is dumped and appended to the base already created.  I need to create an automation that compares all the duplicates, replaces totals(money) and deletes the old data ALL while sending an email notification at the end when this is complete.  Good luck and I could use all the help I can get.

3 Replies 3

> Is it possible to iterate over the history of a cell/record to create the comparison. If that is not possible
Not that I know of

> how can I create a second column and automations where if that column changes an 'X' or emoji show up as a notification.
Hmm, if I were you I'd:
1. Create a new number field called "History" or some such
2. Create a formula field that compares the "History" field with the "Current" field, i.e. `{Current} = {History}`
3. Create an automation that, when the formula field in the previous step changes is not true, sends an email notification or something, and then updates the record's "History" value with the "Current" value, resetting the formula field from step 2 to "true"

Micki_O_Neil
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

My solution is similar to Adam_TheTimeSave but I like seeing alternative ways of doing these so here goes.

You could also add three fields:

1) Date modified field that watches just the field you care about. (This would actually be optional, depending on whether you want this info or not. You could use it as a filter field. You could also add a Modified By field that watches this field.)

2) A field used for tracking in the automation, similar to Adam's History field.

3) A field that captures the previous value(s), a Saved History field.

The automation triggers when either the field of interest or the Date Modified field is updated.  This automation would take the value from the tracking field (#2 above) and paste it in the Previous Values field (#3).

Then, the automation pastes the current value of the field to the tracking #2 field for the next time. It would also send you a notification in whatever form you wanted. 

The main advantage of this method would be that you could compare the current and previous values. 

[If you want to keep a full history (going forward), you could make Field 3 a long text field and have the automation paste the new value (and, optionally, date modified) + existing value in the field.]

veltsy86

These sound like great solutions. I'm gonna give them a shot.  When something is changed, it creates a history.  I want to compare a value to the history that gets created when a cell value is changed.