Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Connecting Automations to a Base for Run History

Solved
Jump to Solution
463 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luizapcampos
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
Hi everyone!

I'm working on a project to track and monitor my Airtable automations. I want to create a base that will automatically populate with all my existing automations and update every time an automation runs. This way, I can easily view the run history of all my automations in one place, without having to check each one individually.

Is it possible to connect automations to a base and track their run count automatically? I've reviewed the documentation but couldn't find a solution. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi,
you can set up automation on some 'central point' base, triggered by 'webhook received'.
During setup, it will generate webhook link. In every automation, you can add script step, using the link in variable addr in code. 

const {report}=input.config() // if you don't need report, remove this line
const addr='https://hooks.airtable.com/workflows/v1/genericWebhook/appQmDMU..'
const [base, autoName]=['Base Name Here' , 'Automation Name here'] 

let payload={
    'Base': base,
    'Automation Name': autoName,
    'Execution Report':report   // ..and this line
}

const options={method:'POST', body: JSON.stringify(payload),
  headers:{'Content-Type': 'application/json'}}
const responce=await fetch(addr,options);
const result=(responce.ok)? await responce.json() : responce.statusText;
console.log(result)

after you perform test run, webhook will be sent and you can finish automation setup on the central point. For example, create record for each event, with base and automation name.
Note that if you install step in the end of automation, you will not be informed if it fails.
Of course, you can register 'start' and 'end', and use 2 steps - at the beginning and at the end. And (for example), add formula field, which displays alert for records, when start time present but end time absent.
But that's up to you. 

I'm using another approach - in the most important automations I added 'Send mail' step, and send them to me, where mail filter packing them to mail folders. Sometimes I need to take a quick look.
After counter was added, it's enough for more detailed view in each base.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3

I don't think this would be possible very easily. If you sync all your tables to one base and use automations to track the changes the original automations are making, it'll almost be like making each automation again.

In the Business plan, there's an admin centre with the ability to manage things across bases, but I haven't come across if there's a general place to check for all automation history. It might be in the Enterprise plan?

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/
Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi,
you can set up automation on some 'central point' base, triggered by 'webhook received'.
During setup, it will generate webhook link. In every automation, you can add script step, using the link in variable addr in code. 

const {report}=input.config() // if you don't need report, remove this line
const addr='https://hooks.airtable.com/workflows/v1/genericWebhook/appQmDMU..'
const [base, autoName]=['Base Name Here' , 'Automation Name here'] 

let payload={
    'Base': base,
    'Automation Name': autoName,
    'Execution Report':report   // ..and this line
}

const options={method:'POST', body: JSON.stringify(payload),
  headers:{'Content-Type': 'application/json'}}
const responce=await fetch(addr,options);
const result=(responce.ok)? await responce.json() : responce.statusText;
console.log(result)

after you perform test run, webhook will be sent and you can finish automation setup on the central point. For example, create record for each event, with base and automation name.
Note that if you install step in the end of automation, you will not be informed if it fails.
Of course, you can register 'start' and 'end', and use 2 steps - at the beginning and at the end. And (for example), add formula field, which displays alert for records, when start time present but end time absent.
But that's up to you. 

I'm using another approach - in the most important automations I added 'Send mail' step, and send them to me, where mail filter packing them to mail folders. Sometimes I need to take a quick look.
After counter was added, it's enough for more detailed view in each base.

Sachin_191
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

To track and monitor your Airtable automations effectively, we can set up a system that logs each automation run into a dedicated Airtable base. By integrating Airtable with Make.com (formerly Integromat), we can automate the process of recording each automation run.

•  Use Make.com to connect your Airtable automations to a dedicated base.
  • Create a scenario in Make.com that triggers whenever an Airtable automation runs. This scenario will then log the run details (such as timestamp, automation name, and run status) into a tracking base.
  •  Each time an automation runs, the scenario will update the corresponding record in your tracking base, incrementing the run count and logging the details.