1326 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SSA_Admin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a ‘Master’ table listing all the organisations we work with along with a fair amount of information about the organisation. There are other tables linked to the ‘Master’ table. The first field (column) of the ‘Master’ table is the organisation name. This is also the case with 2 linked tables containing different information.
I am trying to use automation so that when I create a new record in the ‘Master’ table a new record is created in the 2 linked tables with the name of the organisation in the first field.
I have managed to get the records created in the other tables but they are blank. How do I get it to carry the name of the organisation over?
I’ve attached a screenshot of the Action steps. Grateful for any help on this, thanks!
Capture|377x378

2 Replies 2

You will need to use a different trigger instead of “create new record”.

Unfortunately, Airtable’s implementation of the “create new record” trigger is not what anyone expects, because it triggers at the very moment of record creation, which means that it triggers on a completely empty/blank record.

Yet Airtable breaks its own (poor) rule on this when records come in through the API or through a form, in which case it DOES wait for the entire record to be created — which is what most people expected to happen in the first place.

So the “create new record” trigger can only be used under 3 circumstances:

1. new records submitted through forms
  2. new records created through the API
  3. entering default values into a blank new record

It might also be able to be used when creating a new record through a script, but I’m not sure.

Thank you ScottWorld, very helpful response.
I’ll have a look and see if there are any other options that will work as a trigger and if not I’ll
create a form to add new organisations and see if that works.

EDIT: Creating a form to add a new organisation worked perfectly. Thanks again ScottWorld.