4841 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weng-IC
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I have created a Typeform survey and a Airtable to record all the answer.
However, if a user using a same email. It will create a second record with same email.
How can I have AirTable filter by email and update records accordingly? Is this achievable?

Please look at 1st Survey table.

Thank you

7 Replies 7
Jonathan_Lutz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Below are some options to help you accomplish this:

First, you could leverage an integration tool such as Zapier or Integromat as middleware sitting between Typeform & Airtable. You could configure a scenario in either case that would do the logic of first searching for a record with that email address to see if it exists & update if it does; otherwise insert the record normally.

Another option is to let the data flow to Airtable as is in all cases, but have the target table act not as the final set of data, but rather as a processing queue. Then, use the Automations feature in Airtable to trigger an automation that essentially does the same logic as in the option above–checking to see if the email address exists & updating if so, otherwise inserting.

Depending on your use case the logic may differ a bit, but this general scenario is common in data processing & is many times referred to as an “upsert” (update if exists/insert if doesn’t).

Hope this makes sense!

cori_parrish1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

this is what i’m working on as well.

my form is in Airtable, and i want it to match people by email. can i do the “up” and the “sert” in the same automation? i’ve gotten it to find a person who matches by email and update them. but i’m not sure how to tell it “if it doesn’t match, create them” without making a new automation. and i am limited to 25 automations, with a bunch more things i want to automate, so i’d love to combine if possible.

thanks for any advice you can provide!!

In my personal opinion, the best way to tackle all of this is to use a professional automation tool like my personal favorite Integromat, which also has a native “Upsert” module for Airtable:

how did you managed to find a person match email?

I am watching some YouTube guides.

Can I know what view is this? I don’t seems to find this view.
Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 13.31.20

You might benefit from watching my free, beginning-level, Airtable training course entitled “Learning Airtable”:

tracyloisel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have been able to made it without Zapier.

Suppose two tables :

1. TYPF submissions
  2. Members

What you have to do is :

1. When a record is created in TYPF submissions
  2. Find records where Email (email from Members) contains Email (email from TYPF submissions)
  3. If records length = 1
    1. Update record : update record from TYPF submissions with airtable id of the record found from table Members - THIS IS THE MAGICAL MOMENT because now you can link entries between these tables
    2. Update record from Members with values from TYPF submissions