12953 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbossenberry
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I work for a large theatre, and I'm trying to automate my Opening Night Tickets forms, but running into an issue. We have 12 different shows, and each person is allotted a specific number of tickets to each show. What I'd like to have happen with the form, is that the show will only appear as an option if there is a value filled out in that field on that person's record, and it will only show the number of tickets they're allotted (they can request less than allotted, but not more).

For example, if John is offered 2 tickets to Show A, he would see options for 0, 1, and 2 in the dropdown. If he's only offered 1 ticket, it would show 0 and 1. If he's not offered any tickets, Show A would not appear in his form at all.

Currently every show is appearing on the form, even if there's not value in the workspace. My bigger issue is even if I have a 1 in the field on the workspace,  for some reason they can still choose 2 in the form. I need to make sure they can only select up to the number of tickets I've pre-assigned to their record (this is the most important part of what I'm trying to accomplish here).

TIA!

5 Replies 5

Hmm, I don't think this is possible with Airtable I'm afraid.  Your best bet is probably trying to do this with Fillout (a form software that integrates with Airtable) as it lets you dynamically set the available options based on data selected in the form

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@cbossenberry 

The only way that you can do this is by using Fillout's advanced forms for Airtable.

You would set this up by adding a conditional validation to the number field.

If the user specifies a number that is greater than the quantity available, then the Fillout form would give them an error message.

Fillout offers hundreds of advanced Airtable features (such as this one) that are not natively available in Airtable's native forms. For example, you can update Airtable records from a form, you can display Airtable lookup fields & Airtable formulas & Airtable rollup fields on forms, you can create multi-page forms with conditional paths, you can accept payments on forms, you can create new Airtable linked records on a form, you can visually displaying as many Airtable fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list, you can limit the number of linked records that can be chosen, and dozens of other advanced Airtable-specific features that are not available in Airtable’s native forms.

I give a brief demonstration of Fillout on this Airtable podcast episode.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

Fillout seems like it could be an interesting solution - do you have any reference videos on what I'm trying to accomplish? I'm struggling to find any kind of clear instructions/videos on this (is Fillout just too new?). I can find things to tell them that the number they chose isn't available, but I still can't find anything to tell me how to dynamically pull the number from the Airtable workspace without an action on the Fillout form happening first. I need each form that goes out to be unique to that particular employee, as each person will have a different set of ticket offers. 

Any help, or a point in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, all of that is native functionality that is built into Fillout — you would create an “update” form, and you can pull in values from Airtable. And you can conditionally disable the submit button and conditionally enable a warning message. Sorry, it would take me too long to type up how to do all of it, but I’ll try to do a video on it in the near future. In the meantime, their support team should be able to guide you. 

I appreciate the guidance - this should give me something to work with. Thanks!