cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pascal_Gallais-
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello,

I am trying to use the “Update Google Doc” automation but I do not understand how to fill the “Content” section with the “Select field” option.
I have created a google doc template with fields using the google add-on “Fillable Document”, but when I click on “select field” option in the Airtable automation, I do not see any field to select.
Does anyone know how I have to set up my google doc template so that Airtble identifies fields from this file?
Thank you
Pascal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn’t allow you to update a Google Document by filling in fields on your document. Airtable only lets you add new content to the end of an existing document, or update the title of the document.

You would need to pay extra for a 3rd-party app if you wanted to update a document template with field values. On2Air Actions provides native integration with Google Docs.

And there are dozens of different services out there that provide their own version of this functionality, such as Documint, Docupilot, PDF Generator API, PandaDoc, pdfFiller, PlumSail Documents, Formstack Documents, DocSpring, PDFMonkey, Anvil, PDF.co, and many more.

All of these would need to be automated in some way. Some of them have native extensions for Airtable. Others would need to be automated by writing your own Javascripts or by turning to a low-code/no-code automation tool like Make.com, which doesn’t require any knowledge of coding.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn’t allow you to update a Google Document by filling in fields on your document. Airtable only lets you add new content to the end of an existing document, or update the title of the document.

You would need to pay extra for a 3rd-party app if you wanted to update a document template with field values. On2Air Actions provides native integration with Google Docs.

And there are dozens of different services out there that provide their own version of this functionality, such as Documint, Docupilot, PDF Generator API, PandaDoc, pdfFiller, PlumSail Documents, Formstack Documents, DocSpring, PDFMonkey, Anvil, PDF.co, and many more.

All of these would need to be automated in some way. Some of them have native extensions for Airtable. Others would need to be automated by writing your own Javascripts or by turning to a low-code/no-code automation tool like Make.com, which doesn’t require any knowledge of coding.

p.s. Also note that Airtable’s Page Designer extension lets you create very simple one-page documents that pull information from your fields, but it can’t be automated in anyway.

Pascal_Gallais-
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you, that’s very clear and that will save me the time trying to do something that can not be done directly.
Pascal

You’re welcome! Glad I could help! :slightly_smiling_face: If you don’t mind, could you please mark my comment above as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question in the future, because it will rise to the top of the search results. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pascal_Gallais-
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I, sorry I had marked my reply but not your comment.
It is now done
Thank you

GrabsSnoop
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I can understand how setting up automations can sometimes be a head-scratcher. If you're using a Google Doc template with the "Fillable Document" add-on, it might be possible that the Airtable automation isn't recognizing the fields because they're not native Google Doc elements. Have you tried using just plain placeholders in your Google Doc and seeing if those get recognized?
Another idea is to look into Google Doc templates that are formatted to be automation-friendly. You might find something useful over at https://docsandslides.com/, as they offer a variety of Google Docs and Google Slides templates that may work more seamlessly with your Airtable automation.