2007 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doug_Sacarto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Exploring AirTable for use with Google Sheets. I do not understand the built-in option for Google Drive connection. It seems to provide for 2-way syncing: If Sheet is updated then the connected AirTable base is updated. It also sounds like updating the base (with a form entry) would also update the G-Sheet.
I’ve set up the connection and used the Google import to create a base from a Google sheet. But I am not seeing synching in either direction when I edit the G-sheet or when I update the base with a form submission. Maybe there is another configuration step I am missing (maybe scheduling frequency? I looked but have not found that setting.)

But other posts outline using 3rd party connector services (Zapier, Integromat, etc.) to do this.
Can someone clarify what synching is provided by the Google Drive connection in Airtable ?

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

The built-in automations of Airtable only allow you to add a new row to the bottom of a Google Sheet, or add a new record into an Airtable base.

But there is no ability to update existing rows or records.

As you mentioned, the only relatively easy way to do this would be to use an external automation tool like Integromat.

I prefer Integromat over Zapier because it has full Airtable support, it has more power & functionality, it is easier to use, and it is cheaper.

You could also likely write some custom JavaScripts to do this as well, but Integromat is a no-code/low-code way of doing it.

(Note that I am a professional Airtable consultant and a Registered Integromat Partner, and the Integromat link contains my personal referral code. If you have a budget for this project and you’d like to hire an expert to help you with this, please feel free to contact me through my website at ScottWorld.com.)

Willem_Dewulf
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @Doug_Sacarto, could you tell us a bit more on how you would like to use the sync?

Our team has built a backup app for Airtable called Pro Backup. It does not only backup your airtable data but also syncs your airtables to Google Sheets. This sync will reflect all changes that were made in Airtable, but it only syncs from Airtable to Google Sheets (so it’s not a 2-way sync). Depending on your use case this might be helpful for you.

Thanks, the clarification is very helpful.

image001.jpg