1365 8
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beczap
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I currently have an automation set up that when a new row is created in Google Sheets, it creates a new record in Airtable. Is it possible to set up an automation that if that row is updated in Google Sheets, it updates in Airtable? I don't want to use a 3rd party service to do this. 

Thank you! 

8 Replies 8

@beczap wrote:

I don't want to use a 3rd party service to do this. 

I do it all the time. Outbound Google Apps Script webhooks to inbound Airtable webhooks.

Stephen_Orr1
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi @beczap,
This involves creating a custom Google Apps Script to send an API call to Airtable on the onEdit trigger in Google Sheets.

Using the "when webhook received" trigger in an Airtable automation, you can process the API call from your Google Apps Script and use JSON payload data in the action(s) of your Airtable automation. 

More info on the Airtable side of things here:
https://support.airtable.com/docs/when-webhook-received-trigger

-Stephen

For other people who find this thread in the future, the original author doesn't want to use external tools to do this, but the easiest no-code way to do this that doesn't involve any scripting or coding is to use Make's Watch Changes module for Google Sheets.

There can be a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video for Make, along with providing the link to Make’s free training courses. There are also many Make experts hanging out there who can answer other Make questions. I am also the Airtable Community's top Make expert, and I am available for hire through my website.

Isn't Make a 3rd party service?

As I said at the beginning of my post: "For other people who find this thread in the future, the original author doesn't want to use external tools to do this, but..."

The community is designed to help many people, including the person who originally posted the thread. For many years into the future, people who try to search this community for "Google Sheets Updates" will get this thread as a result. It is very likely that many of them will want a very easy, no-code, 3rd-party service to handle all of this for them. 

One must also ask - how do you get Airtable to update from a "third-party app" without using a third-party app? This is a circular reference.

Lol! This is very true, @Bill_French!! 😂😅

beczap

Thanks all for the advice! My issue is that I'm using this Airtable base for my company, and they're pretty stringent on approving 3rd party services. I was wondering if there was a way to do it like how there's a built in solution for Google Sheets (adding a new row). Sounds like there isn't unless I build it myself.