468 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gabriel_Audant
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm having trouble updating a date field with results from a formula. Please help

My desired outcome is the following: When the user updates the "last communication date" field, then Airtable will automatically update the "next communication date" to be 7 days after the "last communication date." This allows the user to manually update the "next communication date" if desired but doesn't make that step mandatory.

What I've Created:
-Editable "last comm" field
-Formula field "calc next comm" with this formula: DATEADD({last comm}, 7, 'days')
-Automation set to update "next comm" with the data from "calc next comm"

Error from Automations Test:
"Field "next comm" cannot accept the provided value: Could not convert string to date."

The user kuovonne previously provided this answer to a very similar question, and it seems like it should resolve my question.

"If it is a native Airtable automation, the display of the time shouldn’t matter. Your formula of

DATEADD({Estimated Start Date}, Calculation, 'days')

... The DATEADD function should work better than the DATETIME_FORMAT function because DATEADD returns a date object while DATETIME_FORMAT returns a string."

However, note that this did not work for me. As i mentioned above, I am using the DATEADD function and am not wrapping it in any DATETIME_FORMAT formula.

This seems like a bug for AirtTable. Can someone solve this for me or explain how I escalate this issue to AirTable support assuming it's a bug on their end?

Screenshots below.

Aloha,

Gabe

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.47.01 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.46.54 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.46.25 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

One of the situations that causes that error to appear is when the formula field's value is "#ERROR".  Could you try selecting a record that definitely has a date value in "calc next comm" and then testing your automation again?

Your setup looks fine and I've reproduced it here where it appears to work

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

One of the situations that causes that error to appear is when the formula field's value is "#ERROR".  Could you try selecting a record that definitely has a date value in "calc next comm" and then testing your automation again?

Your setup looks fine and I've reproduced it here where it appears to work

Thank you! I thought I had selected "a record that definitely has a date value in "calc next comm" ." But apparently not. It's working now. Thank you so much Adam @ TheTimeSavingCo for your quick reply.

Interestingly, the link to where you reproduced it seems to be having the same error as what I was getting, but no matter. Thank you.

Aloha,

Gabe