cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rodney_Beadon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi

When I run my Automation to Update a record it changes the membership Number.

In My row I have a unique membership number, But when sending the link to the member for updating when the form is returned the information is updated But it also changes the persons Membership number. How do I stop that

8 Replies 8

Are members filling out an Airtable form? If so, filling out a form always creates a new record. A form cannot update an existing record by itself. It can be paired with an automation that finds the original record and updates the original record. Or you can use a third party portal service, although those have monthly fees.

Rodney_Beadon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @kuovonne

Thank you for getting back to me.

1. “YES” members are filling out an Airtable form.
  2. When I ask them to check details, there is an Automation that finds the record and updates it.
  3. When the form is re submitted it shows the orginal record, and then it shows the updated record.
  4. The up dated record has the new membership number. This is where my problem is at.

I am very new to Air Table, 17 days old, so lots of this is quite confusing to me, so any guidance and direction is Very Help full.

Thanks

Rod

@kuovonne I have done an automation but not sure how to get it to update the records.

You have shared your base with creator privileges. You may want to remove the link so that you are not charged for anyone who clicks the link.

Your membership number is based on an autonumber, which has a new number for each record created. Because each form submission creates a new record, each new record has a new membership number. The original membership number for the original record is not being changed.

Thank you
I think I have also removed the link

@kuovonne Thank you for explaining why this is happening, Is there away to up date the record without changing the membership number?

The automation already is updating the info in the original record. You just have two records for the person. You cannot change the membership number in either record. If you no longer need the second record, you can delete it.

Rodney_Beadon
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@kuovonne Thank you. I am going to have to find an alternative way that it does not update the membership number

Thanks again for the help