cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcus_Layton
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

I want to create a new record in another table whenever a field in another record = X.

I.e. If we add a record to table A, and within that record, one of the fields is marked as #1, then, a particular record should be added to another table.

How is this possible using Airtable?

Cheers!

5 Replies 5

Hi Marcus, you could make an automation that triggers whenever a record in Table A has one of the fields marked as #1, and then use a “Create Record” action to create the record in the other table

Marcus_Layton

Thanks very much Adam - I’ve been trying to configure this without success. Would you per chance be open to some paid tuition for elements I’m needing to figure out over a video chat? If yes would love to talk! www.bit.ly/meetingmarcus

Hey Marcus, sure, I’ve scheduled a meeting with you. I do free half hour calls, and I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to cover this bit within a half hour so there won’t be a paid element I believe

Jacque_Boltik

One way to do it (here’s a video: Airtable: Create new record in new table when value is X - YouTube)

1. Create a new View in the Table where one of the possible values is X. Filter the view so it only contains values of X. Actually populate with some values, including X. You will need this later. If you don’t have the example data you will be stuck.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.38.30 PM

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.38.43 PM

1. In that same Table, add Record ID with formula value RECORD_ID()

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.42.08 PM

Make sure you close the () or it won’t work.
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.44.22 PM

1. In the Table where you want X created, add the column where you want X to be added as a new record. In my example it’s “Value of X From Table with Input”.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.56.08 PM

1. Create an Automation with the Trigger When record enters view, then select Only X as the view.
    Test the step. Make sure you have a record with the value X, e.g. that is in your view.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.45.46 PM

1. Add Action Create Record.

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 12.10.32 AM

Configure to run Always with Table “Table where X is created”. Add two fields: a) Field choose Name with Airtable Record ID -which is generated when you create the formula column with RECORD_ID() - and b) Value of X From Table with Input with Example Field When X as the value.

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 12.08.54 AM

Full view
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 12.08.21 AM

Thanks a ton for the detailed description/ answer here Jacque!