545 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hadi_Eldebek
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello everyone, I have two tables: Pre-production and Production. 

I was able to make an automation so if I "approve" a project submitted through form to Pre-production table, a new record is created in Production with the same name and info. 

Now I want to make an automation so if the info in Pre-production table is updated, it will also update the same info in the Production table. But I keep getting an error. What am I doing wrong? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ah that error's occurring because you're using the "Project Name" value for the "Record ID" input.  You need to be using an actual record ID for that, which looks like this: recmh9YZKVGhH0G8m

Within your context, you're going to need to find the correct record in Production and then use that record ID, and Airtable has a guide on how to find records and use the found record ID here: https://support.airtable.com/docs/linking-existing-records-using-automations#setting-up-your-base-an...

---
I echo Dan's sentiment though, and think you should either put all the data in one table or use linked fields to handle this instead

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hadi,

Trying to keep the same information current between two table is complex and error prone.  Wether a item is in pre-production or production doesn't change the object, it just changes that one attribute.  I would suggest you use one table for your objects and have a state of Production and Pre-Production.  Then I would recommend you use interfaces that filter based on that state.

If this won't work for you, I would recommend using a linked record to link between production and pre-production.  Then lookup the fields you need.

-Dan

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ah that error's occurring because you're using the "Project Name" value for the "Record ID" input.  You need to be using an actual record ID for that, which looks like this: recmh9YZKVGhH0G8m

Within your context, you're going to need to find the correct record in Production and then use that record ID, and Airtable has a guide on how to find records and use the found record ID here: https://support.airtable.com/docs/linking-existing-records-using-automations#setting-up-your-base-an...

---
I echo Dan's sentiment though, and think you should either put all the data in one table or use linked fields to handle this instead

Hadi_Eldebek

Thanks guys!