Help

Re: How to set an automation that links records in different tables based on a single field???

Solved
Jump to Solution
1557 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsallis
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi 🙂
I have user information in 2 different tables but in both I have a field with the user email that could be used as a linking field. 

I would like to set an automation to update a specific field from table B into table A using the email as a matching reference. The same email is in both tables. 

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Will earn the right for "caipirinhas" on me whenever you visit Brazil 🙂 Thanks a lot!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, I wasn't aware of the specific trigger you needed and chose a random one to demonstrate the Find Records action. You can pick any trigger that works for you here.

@tsallis wrote:

In terms of information flow, the ideal would be, when a record is created in Table B, take the info from field X in Table B and Update Field X in Table A in the record that matches the same email in Table B.

Got it. We're getting closer, just need to add a few things... 🙂

findrecordsexample2.png

The Find Records step is the same as above, but for Table A now.

The next step is a conditional action that says if any records are found by the Find Records action, then update the found record in Table A. If no records are found, then create a record in Table A. You can populate fields from Table B's trigger record in Table A this way.

If you don't want to create records when a matching record is not found in Table A, you can remove the Create Record action.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

You can use a Find Records action to lookup records in Table B based on a value in your trigger record/Table A. 

Hope that helps!

tsallis
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Stephen, tks for reaching out so fast. The problem is that is not a fixed value in Table A, its the email value and they are different across records : /

No problem! I understand what you mean 🙂 You would use the dynamic setting here to use the email address from Table A in your Find Records logic:
findrecordsexample.png

tsallis
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

One problem with the trigger you sent is that my user will first fill some info in Table A and then will go to Table B to fill the rest of the info. That said, if the trigger starts with a record being created in Table A it will always return a blanck info from Table B because it was not yet filled by the user. 

In terms of information flow, the ideal would be, when a record is created in Table B, take the info from field X in Table B and Update Field X in Table A in the record that matches the same email in Table B.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the specific trigger you needed and chose a random one to demonstrate the Find Records action. You can pick any trigger that works for you here.

@tsallis wrote:

Got it. We're getting closer, just need to add a few things... 🙂

findrecordsexample2.png

The Find Records step is the same as above, but for Table A now.

The next step is a conditional action that says if any records are found by the Find Records action, then update the found record in Table A. If no records are found, then create a record in Table A. You can populate fields from Table B's trigger record in Table A this way.

If you don't want to create records when a matching record is not found in Table A, you can remove the Create Record action.

tsallis
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Tks a lot for your help Stephen!