Help

Re: How to update one field depending on another field?

1383 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_from_66_PR
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

hi all,

How do i go about making a specific field change to a specific value depending on whtsa in another field?

What I’m trying to do is, put together a database of property listings.

So if I pick a specific apartment building in a single select field. I want another field to update and show nearest subway station. so I dont have to do add the subway station every single time I add a listing in a specific apartment building.

There will be of course hundreds of apartment buildings. Am I supposed to write a formula that says?
IF xx building, then put this Subway station?
if xx building, then put this station.

That would be a long ass formula.

Please advise.

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Does that mean you have one Single Select field with hundreds of options? Sounds like this may be better suited for a Link Records field. You’d have a table of Buildings with a field for “closest subway”.

Now each time you “select” the building in your Listings table you can use a Lookup to pull in the subway value automatically.

Thanks for the quick response Kamille!

Yes the condo buildings field is single select with many many options. I want to change the Nearest Subway field automatically depending on the building.

ok so make a different table with buildings and the corresponding nearest subway?

I could use this with other stuff as well right? Such as ‘Facilities’.
For example. a specific building will have a community pool, sauna, gym room etc.

That would be my recommendation. Typically, you use single or multiselect fields if you just need one piece information i.e. the fact that it has a sauna. Link Record fields are used when you have a long list of items and/or you need more than one piece of information about it i.e. the name of the building and the closest subway.

Alex_from_66_PR
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I just wanted to say thank you! We got this working and it makes a lot of sense. Airtable is so powerful!