Help

Re: My conditional logic automation doesn't run, but it works perfectly when I test the automation

Solved
Jump to Solution
112 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MIT
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello all! 

I created a conditional logic automation. When I test the automation, it works perfectly. However, when it comes to actually running the automation on its own, it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

(When I create each one individually in its own automation, it works perfectly. However, I've hit the limit of new automations that I can create so I'm trying to consolidate using conditional logic)

Below is a screen shot of the run history (that is blank) and how it runs successfully whenever I select "Test automation."

PS. I'm doing this automation and have so many automations because I get reminders to do this 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days before a start date that's on my table. These reminders were all separate automations at first and worked perfectly. But doing the same thing using conditional logic doesn't work. Hopefully this was clear.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alexey_Gusev
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Hi,
After you switch automation to "ON", it looks only for records, whose Last Name is not empty
It runs only when some record Last Name BECAME empty (means "was non-empty and then cleared"). "Today/tomorrow" doesn't matter until the automation launched by trigger. Trigger "doesn't know" about the date, it only checking Last Name column.

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7

Hmm, that automation will only trigger when the "Last Name" field gets cleared by a user action, is that right?  It feels like you'd want an email sent when the tour start date is tomorrow, and then another one for today if the "Last Name" field is still empty?

If not, could you talk more about what your overarching business logic is, how these records are created, and when you'd want these remind emails to be sent out? 

MIT
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for responding so quickly. This automation only needs to be triggered for an event name record. An event name record only has a first name, but not a last name filled in.

The table also has client records with the client's first and last name filled in.

The automation is a reminder of tasks we need to do for that Entire group including all of the people that are going to that same event. I do not want the automation to trigger and send it for each person individually which is why it only triggers when "Last name" is empty so it only sends 1 notification to remind us of things to do for the entire group. 

This automation is reminding us of tasks that need to be done 30 days before the event, 60 days before the event, and 90 days before the event.

re: This automation is reminding us of tasks that need to be done 30 days before the event, 60 days before the event, and 90 days before the event.

Hmm, yeah I think I'd handle this with a formula field and automation.  I'd have a formula field that outputs text on the day the reminder should be sent out:

Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 12.48.18 PM.png

And an automation that triggers whenever that formula field isn't empty:

Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 12.48.37 PM.png

Within your context you'd also add the Last Name bit?  I'm not really following that part, but this should get you in the right direction I think!

Link to base

Alexey_Gusev
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Hi,
After you switch automation to "ON", it looks only for records, whose Last Name is not empty
It runs only when some record Last Name BECAME empty (means "was non-empty and then cleared"). "Today/tomorrow" doesn't matter until the automation launched by trigger. Trigger "doesn't know" about the date, it only checking Last Name column.

MIT
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes!!! This did it!!! Thank you

What would be a good trigger to get this to run automatically then? It doesn't run unless I clear the last name area constantly. However, it works perfectly if I don't use the conditional logic and just have that as the trigger.

If you want to perform all three alerts by the same automation, you need to provide 'trigger reload' between them. During first alert date, trigger became on, email sent, then on the next day trigger condition must again be false... until after 30 days the next alert will come. 
I would do something like this, it can be done even without Conditional group in automation, but you can still use it, if needed. Formula field with

IF({Last Name},'',
SWITCH( DATETIME_DIFF({Tour start date},TODAY(),'days'),
30,'30 days alert',
60,'60 days alert',
90,'90 days alert',
'')
)

The trigger should be "When {Formula field} is not empty"
I could mistake with the order inside formula, so at first test it just by

DATETIME_DIFF({Tour start date},TODAY(),'days')
ensure that numbers are right and positive.