Help

Set a reminder system across multiple tables?

Topic Labels: Automations
863 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_Moray
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a complex base with about 16 tables. I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to set a reminder for a record in ANY of the tables easily. I want to be able to set the time & day of the reminder in a REMIND ME field in any record of any table and get notified by email when it is due.

I was thinking I could create a REMINDER Table and link it to the other tables and then set a view in for Remind me is before (NOW) and then set an automation to send me an email whenever a record enters the view.

What I am having a hard time with is how to link the tables properly. If someone can explain in detail how to do this with just 3 tables EVENTS, TASKS, & the REMINDER table, I can extrapolate the rest.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Reply 1
Bill_Felix
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am not convinced this is the way I would build it… but hey what do I know? Here is a version of what you were asking for:

• reminders (table)

• datetime (field)(date, include 24hr time)
    • now (field)(formula: DATETIME_FORMAT(NOW(), ‘M/DD/YYYY HH:00’)
    • diff (field)(formula: DATETIME_DIFF(now,datetime,‘minutes’))
    • events (field)(link to events)
    • tasks (field)(link to tasks)
  • events (table)

• eventID (field)(single-line text)
    • event_name (field)(single-line text)
    • status (field)(single select)
  • tasks (table)

• taskID (field)(single-line text)
    • task_subject (field)(single-line text)
    • status (field)(single select)

and then you can create a ‘now’ view like so:

An Automation that is triggered by records entering this view is easy enough, but the next challenge you have is deciding what is the least amount of information to provide to generate a reaction, and what that interaction should be? A link to the record? A link to the table? A link to some external system? A webhook…

So before the email, it seems to me like you might want to consider ‘Run a script’ to do at least two things:

• batch and/or categorize the records ( some times will have multiple events or tasks… ) ( the email might have a different format for events or tasks… )
  • get more information from the linked records in the ‘reminder’ record ( link )