1119 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Gurtzwe
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’m trying to set a Collaborator field to the current user when they change the status of a row.

It seems automations do not know who the current user is… :thinking: :confused:

So I read about a workaround where you use the session object in a scripting step to set the current user to a variable and pull that out a step later.

output.set(‘current_username’, ${session.currentUser.name});

Thing is… I keep getting

ReferenceError: session is not defined

So… obviously I’m missing something, chasing a solution that is not possible, or just don’t understand how scripts work.

Any help?

5 Replies 5

You cannot get the current user directly in an automation script. You can only the the current user from the session object if you are in Scripting app.

You could use a last modified by field to tell you the user, and then get the user from that field.

Michael_Gurtzwe

Thank you.

The Last Modified By is what I ended up doing after I looked around some more.

In my case, I have a record being created / updated by an automation and the "Created by" /"Last modified by" fields are set to an "automations" user. How can it not be possible to have access to the user who clicked the button on the interface?

Same issue here. Want my automation button to create the row with the actual user. Or be able to pass the user into another custom field. 

LandLady
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Did anyone ever solve this issue? I need to do the same thing.