cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MARTIN_Etienne
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

having configured an actionable slack message, the error message marks that I don't have the permissions to edit the record when I click on the button.

However, I have the impression that I have configured everything correctly.

Maybe the screenshots can help...

7 Replies 7

Wow, it looks like you just discovered a very important limitation of this brand new feature, which most of us haven't had a chance to test yet.

In order for this new feature to work, the person who clicks on the button in Slack must ALSO have permission to edit that field in Airtable, which also seems to imply that the person who clicks on the button in Slack must also be logged into Airtable at the time.

So you would need to open up your field permissions in order to allow more people to click on those buttons.

It also looks like there a bunch of other restrictions & limitations to this feature as well, as described in this Airtable support article.

Alternatively, a much more powerful workaround for this -- which doesn't restrict you in any way at all unless you choose to be restrictive — would be to use Make's webhooks to accomplish this same behavior. Make only communicates with Airtable using the account that you link it with, so you would never run into these problems with Make.

I'll be discussing using Make webhooks in detail on this week's BuiltOnAir Podcast at this link.

There is a small learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video to help. I also provide the links to a few other Make training resources there as well.

p.s. If anybody needs to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help them with setting up Airtable or Make, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

MARTIN_Etienne

Merci pour votre réponse.
Pour les permissions de champ j'ai essayé d'autoriser par exemple tous les créateurs mais ça ne fonctionne toujours pas.  j'ai essayé de m'envoyer le message en mettant mon adresse mail, je recois bien le message mais lors du clic sur le bouton toujours la même erreur.

Pour l'instant j'ai juste été dans field permissions et ai ouvert tous les users à la modification de ce field  (ce qui poserait un souci de sécurité majeur) mais même en faisant cela rien ne marche

Thank you for your reply.
For field permissions, I've tried authorizing all creators, for example, but it still doesn't work. I've tried sending myself the message by entering my e-mail address, and I receive the message, but when I click on the button, I still get the same error.

For the moment I've just gone to field permissions and opened all users to the modification of this field (which would pose a major security concern) but even doing this nothing works.

You may want to report this to Airtable at support@airtable.com. You are the first person that I know of who has used this new feature!

MARTIN_Etienne

i just tested with a new test record but nothing work. what do you think about theses screenshots ?

MARTIN_Etienne

I just get the answer of Airtable for this question:

Hello,
having configured an actionable slack message, the error message marks that I don't have the permissions to edit the record when I click on the button.
However, I have the impression that I have configured everything correctly.
Maybe the screenshots can help...

For field permissions, I've tried authorizing all creators, for example, but it still doesn't work. I've tried sending myself the message by entering my e-mail address, and I receive the message, but when I click on the button, I still get the same error.
For the moment I've just gone to field permissions and opened all users to the modification of this field (which would pose a major security concern) but even doing this nothing works.

i just tested with a new test record but nothing work.

And ask me to post the question here...

You may just want to use Make to do the same thing, which will always work 100% of the time.

I show how to do it via email in this podcast episode, but you can do it via Slack as well.