I created an automation to trigger when I change a Status in one of the field.
I tested the with old mail id. It was working fine.
I tested with my new official mail id. It was working fine.
When I switched on the automation, out of 300 records, only 100 successfully triggered. Rest of it failed… I am getting this message in reason for failure. “This automation is no longer authorized to use the configured Gmail account. Please select a new Gmail account for this step.”
I again Tested it with one record. Its working.
Welcome to the community, @Balachander_Pitchai! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Unfortunately the vast majority of us here are fellow users, so there’s not much that we can do. I recommend contacting Airtable support directly if you haven’t already done so.