cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank_Allan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all

Relative Airtable newbie here but hit my first real roadblock and hoping the community can help.

I have a base with two tables linked via one field. For context, it’s an action figure DB. Cause that’s how I roll. :slightly_smiling_face:

Table1: Figures
Table2: Accessories

Figures is linked to Accessories via 1 field that allows multiple entries. eg: 1 figure can have many accessories. Accessories are a seperate table as they have their own unique properties that don’t fit in the Figure table such as colour, type and picture.

Each Figure record has a 100% Complete field that is a tick box. Each accessory has an Owned field, also a tick box. While you can tick each Accessory accordingly, I’m looking for a way to automate it such that when ticking Complete on a figure, it looks at all the linked records and flags them as Owned

Is this possible? I’ve looked in Automations but can’t seem to work it out.

Many thanks

Frank

1 Reply 1

As far as I know (unless there’s something I’m missing), there is no way to do this with Airtable’s built-in automation steps.

The problem with the “Update Record” action is that it won’t let us update a set of records (by inserting a list of record ID’s pulled from a linked record field). The “update record” action only lets us update one record, not multiple records.

This makes automations unusable for updating a set of linked records — unless we write a custom Javascript to do it.

I would highly recommend emailing support@airtable.com to request that they add this feature into automations. We simply need the “Update Record” action to be able to support multiple record ID’s.

In the meantime, as far as I know, there are only 2 ways to do this:

1. Write a custom JavaScript to do this.
  2. Use an external automation platform like Integromat, which is a no-code automation platform.

Note that I am a professional Airtable consultant and a Registered Integromat Partner, and the Integromat link contains my personal referral code.