Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: To create a record in one table automatically the same record should create in another table

1983 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harimonthstayz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

When we enter a listing name in one table, the same listing should automatically appear in another table. 

We set an automation, but when we enter the listing name in one table, that same listing should go to another table. But filed is creating in another table, but the data is coming to that table.
Help us here!

5 Replies 5
Sho
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Let's check the Run History of the automation.

"When a record is created" is triggered the moment an empty record is created, and the record should have been created in another table before the Name is entered.
It is necessary to devise a way to trigger it after all fields have been filled in.

@harimonthstayz 

Is there a reason you're trying to duplicate records across tables?

In the majority of cases, this is not proper database setup, and can lead to long-term data management problems.

Airtable provides you with "Views", so you can see the exact same record in multiple different ways within the same table.

I discuss "Views" in great depth in my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a trial membership with LinkedIn Learning:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/learning-airtable/ 

We are a long term rental property management company. There are several properties in which we have equipment such as AC, refrigerators, washing machines which need to be maintained. At regular intervals they will be maintained and I am using airtable to schedule maintenance records.

Each equipment has a table in Airtable which I am using. For eg AC maintenance is done on a separate table, Washing Machine maintenance is on another table, etc and so on. 

There would be new properties which would be added which are maintained in a separate table. Once a new property is added in the property table, it should enter into all the maintenance tables automatically. Now it is creating a new record but the contents of the property table are not getting duplicated to maintenance tables.  

The fields in property table are different to the fields in maintenance tables except for the property name (let's say this is the property ID)

If the maintenance is done only once, I can have different views in the same table however the maintenance needs to be done more than once in a year and its a recurring task till the property is under our contract. 

Furthermore, I have created an automation in a way, if a particular AC in a building is cleaned a new record would be created in the same table for the same AC for the next cleaning cycle.

I am doubtful this can be achieved if everything is in the same table (property details and maintenance schedules) but with different views.

However, if there are ways to do it in a single table I would love to understand how to achieve that. I did figure out a way. Having a checkbox in the property table and by checking a particular room, I am able to get the contents of property table to maintenance tables - of course need an automation rule too. This creates an additional step of checking the box but that works ok for me. 

If there is a better/faster/easier way to do it, I would definitely like to know. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@harimonthstayz 

It doesn’t sound like you have setup your base properly.

All the maintenance records should live in a maintenance table, but each maintenance record should LINK to a property in the property table. A property should only exist ONCE and in ONE LOCATION in your base.

If you want to display information about the property in the maintenance table, then you would use lookup fields.

You may benefit greatly from taking my free Airtable training course, which covers linked record fields and lookup fields in depth. You can take for free by signing up for a trial membership with LinkedIn Learning: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/learning-airtable/ 

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

@ScottWorld thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree our base needs lot of modifications and we are working towards it. But the question is related to why the content of a field in a table is not appearing on a field in other table when an automation is created. 

Like I have mentioned, I figured a way out. For longer term and to have a more efficient setup base needs lot of modifications which we are working on. Thanks for your inputs.