cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSzorad
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, 

I have researched the forum but cant find the problem to my solution. 

Every time a record is updated in UseCases, I calculate a field call Environment_textual (example value would be "Negligible risk").

GSzorad_0-1715091264899.png

I have another table called Environment_pics where I store pictures for each rating (e.g. there is a pic for "Negligible risk"). 

GSzorad_1-1715091298148.png

I want to create an automation which takes Environment_textual and copies it over to the linked field, so I can the picture in the UseCases list.

GSzorad_2-1715091332945.png

I get an error for the last step.

Should I copy the result in the linked field in UseCases or in the linked field of Environment_pics? For use cases it runs succesfully but the value is not inserted, for Environment_pics I get an error "The record does not exist"

Please help. A gif would be me most welcome, or any description, link. Spent hours on this and is blocking me big time.

Somewhat similar problem but didnt help me figure it out:

https://community.airtable.com/t5/automations/automating-update-a-link-field/m-p/159068?lightbox-mes...

THANK YOU

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ah, you're going to need your automation setup to look like this:
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.50.26 PM.png

And here's how you'd select it:

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.50.05 PM.png

And I've set it up here for you to check out!

  

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Matt_Jastremski

Just taking a quick look at what you posted and the link you referenced and may have spotted the difference. Pay attention to that GIF (yes it goes fast), they use the record ID from a previous step (not a formula field) to link records. 
I haven't sat down and replicated this myself, but it seems like you're getting the "record does not exist" error because it's expecting a record ID, not a record name to make the link.
I think you may need a "find record" step to look up "Negligible risk" in the second table, get its record ID, and then use that.

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ah, you're going to need your automation setup to look like this:
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.50.26 PM.png

And here's how you'd select it:

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.50.05 PM.png

And I've set it up here for you to check out!

  

Hi Matt, thanks for the quick response. I noticed that in the gif as well, but that option doesnt come up for me unfortunately.
This is what I can see:

GSzorad_0-1715097020731.png

GSzorad_1-1715097032415.png

Whereas the screenshot from the fast gif from my original post shows:

GSzorad_2-1715097083299.png

thank you, this is a life saver!