3703 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pascal_Vallet
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have created an automation to add in a specific google calendar an event when the date and time is indicated in a specific field called “Follow-up Meeting” in my airtable database. It works.
Now, I would like to update the event in google calendar if the date and time in the field “Follow-up meeting” in airtable is updated. I have created a trigger but I have a problem as I cannot inform the “Event ID”. What should I do?

16 Replies 16

In your first Automation add an Update Record step that fills in the triggering record’s {Meeting ID} field with the ID of the event created in Google Calendar. If you don’t have a {Meeting ID} field, make one.

Now that you’re storing the event IDs you can update the correct event associated with your Airtable record. You will probably have to manually fill in the meeting IDs that have already been created.

As I am a new user, I am. not sure to understand how to do this, could you be more specific. Thanks so much I appreciate your support.

In the automation you already have:

1. Add a new Update record step after the Create Google Calendar step.
  2. Select the same table as the trigger record’s. In the field ID box, click the blue plus symbol to select the trigger record’s record ID
  3. Under Fields select Choose field and pick a single line text field that you’ll use to store Google Calendar Event IDs. Click the blue plus symbol to select the event id from the Create Google Calendar step.

Now in addition to creating a new Google Calendar event, your Automation will store the unique ID of the calendar event item as a field value for the relevant Airtable record. This means you can update the calendar event in the future by referencing this ID.

Create a new Automation that has these steps:

1. Set the trigger to be when the {Follow-up meeting} time is updated.
  2. Add an Update Google Calendar Event step. For the Event ID click the blue plus symbol to select the trigger record’s {Calendar Event ID} field.

Thank you, I could not follow those instructions but I found a bot which can do this.

Hi
I tried this method but I’m facing a failed test
The test for the trigger is OK
The test for the action failed “Received invalid inputs”
These pictures will show you
Have you an idea to fix this ?
Capture d’écran 2021-12-14 à 11.45.46
Capture d’écran 2021-12-14 à 11.46.26

Your test shows that you passed in no event ID. Whichever record is being used to test your trigger didn’t have a value for that field, so you’re not going to test the action steps until your test record is updated (and the trigger is re-tested to pick up the change).

I succeeded
Thanks for the trick

Grace_Robinson1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Kamille_Parks – this was very helpful, thank you!

Can you advise on creating the reverse automation? One that will update the Airtable due date when the GCal event date is moved? I’m not sure where to put the single text field that I created to store the unique identifier from Google Cal, and also not sure if the issue is that the start and end date nature of the all-day event in Google Cal is incompatible with the “due date” field in AT.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 8.42.10 AM

Your screenshot shows the same misstep. You’re passing the Google Calendar [Event ID] to the Airtable [Record ID]. Those by definition can’t be the same. Add a Find Record step before your Update Record step that searches Airtable records where {the field you're storing the Event ID to} = [Event ID from trigger]. Use the result from the Find Records step as your Airtable Record ID in your Update Record step.

Grace_Robinson1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 11.47.01 AM

This is very helpful. I think I’m closer but still missing something!
A little confused on the “Record ID” picklist of list/grid view. And should I make the next step conditional? THANK YOU!

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 11.48.25 AM

Assuming Event ID is coming from your trigger, it will never be empty. Your condition should instead be “[Find Records → length] > 0”

In the first action (finding the record)? Or the second action (updating the record)?

The second. You cannot conditionally search for records if the search results in 0 results: how would Airtable know there are no results until it searches?

Ah, of course. Okay, hopefully last question. Is there another formula or something for the “Record ID” after the condition is met? Feels so close… thank you for your help.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 12.15.50 PM

You are still saying “use the Google Event ID as the Airtable Record ID”. You should be pulling the List of Airtable Record ID, not the List of ‘Google Calendar ID’.

It worked!!! Thank you so much.