Help

Re: Can I get a linked record to show only 'active' individuals in a family?

1127 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kate_Jacobs
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a base set up for the families that we support through our feeding programme. There is a tab for individuals, giving details about each person, and a tab for families, where the info common to each family is held. On the families tab, I also have a “link to individuals” column, where the base automatically lists the names of all the individuals in the household.

As we are updating our database we have found that some individuals have left the household. I would ideally like to keep their information on record, rather than deleting them. So I have created a “active/inactive” single select column for each person, under the individuals tab.

However these individuals are still reflecting under the “linked to individuals” column. Is there a way to configure it to show only the current individuals?

5 Replies 5

Yes, you will need to create a brand new view in your individuals table which is filtered to only show you active individuals. Then, customize your linked record field to limit record selection to that view.

I think I’ve done that, but it isn’t updating. I’ve tried deleting and re-creating the linked column, and it still shows all of the family members.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 10.21.20 Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 10.22.27

So if you look at family 92 in these two screenshots, there should only be 2 family members currently (and the look up column to the left in the second screenshot confirms that it is picking this up) but it keeps showing the ‘inactive’ members of the family as well.

I am wondering if I didn’t set the field up incorrectly - I think I might have created the linked field while in the “individuals” tab. So perhaps it can’t filter them correctly?

The linked record field will only filter your choices from the dropdown menu when you go to add individuals in the future. It doesn’t remove individuals that you have already chosen in the past.

Oh ok, so there’s no way to make it auto-update. I’ll just re-create the field annually then I guess. Thank you!