2340 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sal
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm trying to do this exact functionality from excel, within airtable: Dependent Drop Down Lists 

Essentially, the single field drop down list will update depending upon the input to another field, as seen below Fruit & Vegetable have two different list options. Is there an easy way to do this, maybe through linking back to a key in another table? Any suggestions help! 

sal_3-1680879544623.png

sal_2-1680879529938.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If you are sure that all 19 of the 20 columns will be blank, your formula field can just concatenate all of the columns together. No nested IF() required.

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7

No, there is not an easy way to do this in a Grid view.

There are ways to get the appearance of this functionality in an Airtable form with conditional fields and multiple single-select fields.

There are horribly complicated systems of formulas and rollups that can get similar functionality with linked record fields, but they are so clunky that they aren't worth considering.

There are also third party tools that can mimic this behavior in their forms.

sal

Hello thanks for the response. The intent is to use this functionality with a form view. Can you explain more on how to get this appearance with conditional fields and multiple single-select fields? 

Sadly, Airtable has never added this feature into their product, even though the majority of people need it. Outside of Kuovonne’s workaround which will work with Airtable’s forms, you can also get this feature natively by using either MiniExtensions or On2Air Forms.

sal

Hi Kuovonne - I was able to use this work around to get my form working properly. Now - is their a way to link a single column back to whatever is input? 

Essentially, now that the solution has 20 columns that can hold data (with 19 being blank based on the conditional field in the form) - I want to consolidate those 20 columns into a single column. 

Maybe a nested if statement to check all the columns to see if they are blank and populate the field if the column is not blank? (it will be a large nested formula with 20 columns to check)

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

If you are sure that all 19 of the 20 columns will be blank, your formula field can just concatenate all of the columns together. No nested IF() required.

sal

Great point, thank you so much for your help on this solution!

Hi Sal! Having same issue, could you explain which formulas are you using?