cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayme_Richardso
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello! 

I'm trying to come up with a formula or script or something that will let me know when a duplicate record was entered into my table.  I know I can use Dedupe to find current duplicates, but this is an ongoing issue and would love to be able to be alerted if something is entered into the base that already exists. 

I saw another thread from a few years ago that said this was possible with a script.  Anyone have any insight?  Basically I'm thinking that when a new record is created... the script will run and based on the results of that script it either will or won't send me an email.  

Hopefully that makes sense!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can do this with an automation.

It is much easier if your new records are created with a form with all values filled out.

Trigger your automation when the form is filled out.

Your first action is to find records that match the triggering record.

Then have a conditional section that only runs if you found more than one record. (If you found only one record, that's the triggering record.)

Inside the conditional section, send your email.

If your new records are not created with a form, but have people type in values in Airtable, things get tricker. You cannot trigger the automation on record creation because the record is created with blank values. You will need to find some other way of determining when data entry is done, usually with a single-select or checkbox field. (Don't trigger off a text field having a value--those trigger as soon as there is a single character in the field, often before the person is done typing.

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can do this with an automation.

It is much easier if your new records are created with a form with all values filled out.

Trigger your automation when the form is filled out.

Your first action is to find records that match the triggering record.

Then have a conditional section that only runs if you found more than one record. (If you found only one record, that's the triggering record.)

Inside the conditional section, send your email.

If your new records are not created with a form, but have people type in values in Airtable, things get tricker. You cannot trigger the automation on record creation because the record is created with blank values. You will need to find some other way of determining when data entry is done, usually with a single-select or checkbox field. (Don't trigger off a text field having a value--those trigger as soon as there is a single character in the field, often before the person is done typing.

How would I set it up to only find records that match what was submitted?  I have a new automation open that triggers when my form is submitted.... and then the first action is to 'find records'... but how do I make it check the value of the specific record that was submitted against the database?  

Jayme_Richardso_0-1696360784558.png

Nevermind, I figured it out!  Thank you!!!

zieddaly1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

hi Jayme_Richardso

how did you do it please
can you give me the solution I have the same problem

Sorry, just saw this!  Did you already figure it out?  Basically I made an automation that first "Finds Records" and made conditions based on the field I wanted it to check, and the information in that field that was just created.  Then if that list resulted in something (meaning that info was already in the database), then it sends me an email.

I'm not sure that makes sense.  Feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm happy to try and help if I can.

thomazbr
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Jayme,

Did you create two automations, then? One for finding the records and another for checking for duplicates? 

I'm trying to figure out a similar problem of sending a warning. email when repeated information is sent through a form. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Jayme_Richardso
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I ended up putting two steps in my automation.

One step to 'find records' that matched certain conditions, and then a step to email me if that search returned any results.

In the 'find records' step, I have two conditions.  One compares the information in a certain field, that was entered on the form, with the information in that same field throughout the database.  Then I also have a 'record number' field in the database that makes sure the new record isn't the same as any result it found.

I'm probably doing a terrible job explaining this... But here is a photo of what I mean.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 4.07.17 PM.png

In that photo, I'm looking for records that have the same status that was just entered on the form, and don't have the record number of that record (so it doesn't return itself as a result).  If something matches those conditions, then step 2 emails me. 

I hope that makes sense!