cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg_Noonan
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

I’m building out a base to track plant inventory in a nursery.

The way it should work is I receive plant material, and assign values to several fields in a Table called “Receiving”

Once the material is added to the system, an automation adds it to my main “Nursery Inventory” Table

Here’s where I’m stuck.

Let’s say I order 500 seeds, I plant 100 of them, 98 of them sprout. then they go into “hardening” phase. while in that phase 5 of them get sick and need to be quarantined, another phase.

In the end we sell 97 of the original 100.

I want to record the receipt of the 500 seeds, subtract 100 from that, hold them in a phase/location for a period of time, subtract 5 from that and move them to a “sick phase”, move the remaining 95 to a third location/phase, add 2 back to the 100 in the 3rd phase, and then ultimately record that we sold 94 of the 100.

Then with the remaining 400 seeds, I want to do it all over again.

Basically, I need a way to track my inventory through a series of phases, minding a total “par” that is automatically updated.

All the other inventory bases I’ve seen rely on 2 phases, where the final sale is used to decrease stock levels.

The other issue is that any given species of plant may have multiple entries. I will have started groups of seeds throghout the course of several weeks, this means I can’t just add and subtract from a master “lettuce” item, I have 3/12/21 batch, 3/17/21 batch and so on.

Any suggestions on how to manage this?

3 Replies 3
Julian_E_Post
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Greg,
This is very doable in Airtable. I manage a hop farm and we track our harvest in a similar way. We harvested 7 varieties over 41 days, resulting in over 20,000 lbs of finished product this year, and I can tell my customers exactly what part of the field, and what day each box was harvested on based on a linked Airtable base. I took a shot at your problem in the below base. Set up the way it is, each tab tracks the inventory of the item it’s focused on, e.g. “Seeds”, “Planting Phase”. By naming each record by date and variety, you can track inventory of plants on a certain planting date. LMK how this works. By the way, Greg Noonan is the name of the brewer attributed to kickstarting the Vermont craft beer movement, which resulted in our famous “Vermont Style” or “New England Style” IPA!

Greg_Noonan

That’s wild - I just googled him, it looks like him and a spray tan Real Estate Magnate in LA are leading the pack lol.

Cheers - I hope to be able to come try your brew one day.

In the meantime, thanks for this - I think this will work perfectly!

Julian_E_Post
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Somehow I missed your reply. Glad to hear it will work!