cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fabian_Winkler
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all, 

I currently struggle with how I should manage all team members. 
I would like to have them in a table called "People" (Person Name is just a single text field), with Birthdays, Joning Dates, Headshot image, title, which domain they belong to etc. 
Then other tables like tasks will have an assignee who is linked to the peoples table. 
So far so good. 

This would allow me to have nice overviews within Interfaces like in this template:

Fabian_Winkler_0-1710852458590.png

No I noticed during Form creation for Tasks that I can't have a default value "current user", nor that automatic notifications are possible if someone got added to a field. 

Is there a way to solve this and bring this together?
Like if I select a "User" in a task that they will get notifications and that the task will be then also linked in the "People" table? 

Update: 
Right now I am planning to use automations for notifications and to do that I added an email field in the "People" table. 
If someone has other ideas, that I can still create interfaces for "current user", I would be still happy about it. Currently this is not possible with the people table.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

re: If someone has other ideas, that I can still create interfaces for "current user", I would be still happy about it

If you have an "Email" field in your "People" table that matches the user's email exactly you can use that for your "Current User" filter by adding a lookup field to display that email in the table in question:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.11.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.11.17 PM.png

Link to base

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

re: If someone has other ideas, that I can still create interfaces for "current user", I would be still happy about it

If you have an "Email" field in your "People" table that matches the user's email exactly you can use that for your "Current User" filter by adding a lookup field to display that email in the table in question:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.11.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.11.17 PM.png

Link to base

Hi Adam, 
This already helps me already A LOT but it leads to a follow up question. 
I took quite some time to figure out how you were able to do so and I was not. 
Seems you are using "blank" pages and fill them up -> perfectly working in here. 
If I use the default pages like. e.g. List, Gallery, Timeline etc, I can't use this filter. 
Is there a specific reason for this? 

And with that: Would you in general recommend to start always from a blank page, since you have more options (control)? (or at least in cases where I need such control/filter abilities)

Is it possible to have this also in a form?
E.g. if I create a new task, I want to be myself the default assignee for that task. 

-------- 
Update: I noticed that in some other views you can use the "Filter by" and when you select the email record, when you get the option "Current user's email" 🙂 This is great. Thank you so much. Haven't tried it yet, since I thought I could just filter by email then. 

Hmm, you should be able to use the filter for default pages too:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.35.27 PM.png
---
re: And with that: Would you in general recommend to start always from a blank page, since you have more options (control)? (or at least in cases where I need such control/filter abilities)

I don't think I'd recommend always starting from a blank page; it really depends on your use case I reckon.  Sorry that it's so vague!

---
re: Is it possible to have this also in a form?

Seems like it!

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.38.19 PM.png