Help

How can I create a linked record based on a reference number, that automatically pulls in related data form another table?

Topic Labels: Base design
737 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean_Patterson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a table - ‘Main table’ - where new initiatives are created and Jira tickets are generated through an automation when I click the button ‘Create Jira ticket’. The Jira issue key is then returned and populates the column ‘JIRA code’ as part of the automation.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 18.02.39

I want to automatically pull in the statuses of those tickets from Jira when they change, so I can see the ticket Issue Key and the Jira Status in the ‘Main table’.

In order to do this, I have created an entirely separate second table ‘Jira tickets’ that pulls in tickets from JiraCloud (synced) - that have ‘Issue key’ as the primary key:

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 17.48.42

Now that I have a column in my ‘Main table’ with the Jira Issue Key, and a second synced table ‘Jira tickets’, how do I pull in the status from ‘Jira tickets’ based on the Issue key column in the Main Table?

I’ve tried all the different linked records I can, but no lunch so far.

2 Replies 2

Hi @Sean_Patterson
Convert the column JIRA code to a link to another record. Select Jira Tickets table to link. Uncheck allow mulitple.
Save that.
Right click on JIRA code field, add look up. Select Status.

The issue with that approach is that the Jira tickets table is a synced table from the Jira Cloud integration. This means no rows can be added to that table unless they come through the sync from Jira itself.

So if I create a linked field it will sync the Issue Keys that already exist to the Jira tickets table, but then when I press the ‘Create Jira ticket’ button then nothing happens because it’s trying to input a NEW value into Jira Ticket, which it can’t do because it’s linked to a synced table.

My understanding is that inputting a new value in a linked field always creates a new row in the linked table.

So in this case, I want to read the information from the synced Jira tickets table, but not write into it from the Main Table.

A bit convoluted, but hope that makes sense