Help

Re: Is there any risk in changing a primary field?

Solved
Jump to Solution
629 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgrass
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a primary field which is an autonumber and I want to change it to a formula (pad the number with zeros, concatenate with another field etc.). My plan is to keep the autonumber, create a formula field, and then change the primary field to be the formula field.

Is there any risk with that? can such action break any dependencies? scripts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Valentino_Escal
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @sgrass,

The answer is yes, there is a risk. It really depends on what is dependent on the primary field. It really is a question of how much external information could be changed. Is there data synced to other tables? Are there automations that will get affected?

I can recommend that you determine all points of data that could be affected and before doing the change to a Formua field. You can always duplicate the table and make the changes you want and then resync or change automations to the new table 🤔

Good luck!

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
Valentino_Escal
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @sgrass,

The answer is yes, there is a risk. It really depends on what is dependent on the primary field. It really is a question of how much external information could be changed. Is there data synced to other tables? Are there automations that will get affected?

I can recommend that you determine all points of data that could be affected and before doing the change to a Formua field. You can always duplicate the table and make the changes you want and then resync or change automations to the new table 🤔

Good luck!