Help

junction table link to multiple records malfunction?

Topic Labels: Base design
Solved
Jump to Solution
1269 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ella
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello,
I cannot figure out why I have a field which has multiple records linked to it even though I have not selected 'Allow linking to multiple records'.

My tables are 'Materials' and 'Inventory by Location'. The top photo is 'Inventory by Location' table showing the linked field to the Materials. Preferably, if materials are linked to a storage location a new record would be created instead of linking multiple materials to one inventory record because I have not selected 'Allow linking to multiple records', or if I need to make an automation for that to happen then airtable would block linking of multiple records instead of what has happened in the photo. Also, I would like to know why, in the bottom photo, there are repeated links to the same storage locations. Thanks for any advice/clarification!

Ella_0-1695145809714.png

Ella_1-1695145832497.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That is because they were linked from the OTHER table.

Even though Airtable gives you that toggle option there, it doesn't actually enforce it outside of that one particular field -- and only when entered through Airtable (i.e. not via external tools or via the API).

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

That is because they were linked from the OTHER table.

Even though Airtable gives you that toggle option there, it doesn't actually enforce it outside of that one particular field -- and only when entered through Airtable (i.e. not via external tools or via the API).

Thanks @ScottWorld