207 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shannon_Bradley
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello all 🙂 I've been staring at this and I am sure it is right in front of me but can't see it. I have a table of scenes that have their filming date defined by a lookup field (I link backwards for print result purposes - if you have seen my other posts DocsAutomator saved my sanity)

Shannon_Bradley_0-1712120041943.png

Now the problem is of course that the linked filed doesn't ACT like one, so I cannot sort properly by date. I can group all the same dates together but they sort alphabetically, not chronologically. 

How do I accomplish this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dilipborad
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hello @Shannon_Bradley 

Possible Solution:

The solution is if data comes from another table use the Lookup field and then sort it.

If data is on the same table then use the formula to create the proper date and then sort it.

My issue and solution:

I've also got this same issue. When I need to extract the month(using a formula) from the date then group it by month. It automatically sorts alphabetically, I've used have dropdown(single select) of the month and then sorted by it. The single select month is updated via Automation when that specific date-related field(s) are updated.

👍

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
dilipborad
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hello @Shannon_Bradley 

Possible Solution:

The solution is if data comes from another table use the Lookup field and then sort it.

If data is on the same table then use the formula to create the proper date and then sort it.

My issue and solution:

I've also got this same issue. When I need to extract the month(using a formula) from the date then group it by month. It automatically sorts alphabetically, I've used have dropdown(single select) of the month and then sorted by it. The single select month is updated via Automation when that specific date-related field(s) are updated.

👍

Yeap, can confirm that adding a lookup field to display the same field and then sorting by that like @dilipborad said works

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 7.08.42 PM.png

So simple! Thank you so much!