Help

Re: Managing multiple mailing templates with Airtable (Formula Field limitations)

Solved
Jump to Solution
1950 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pierre-Louis_Fi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi all,

Hope you’re doing well.

I’m asking the community about a strategic choice I’m about to make.

We are handeling Client Missions through Airtable. We did automate most of our process with Zapier, like sending e-mails.
Right now, we only have 1 Client Langage, and 2 differents type of products. Each product and lang will result in a quiet different mail template. For now, I was using Paths in Zapier.

However, we’re going to scale to 3 langages, and maybe up to 4 or 5 products, therefore I may have up to 15 differents mail templates. Zapier Paths seem not appropriate at all, without considering maintenance costs…

I’m about to change the strategy to conditionally format e-mails templates directly in Airtable in a Formula Field.
Screenshot 2020-04-20 16.53.01

This formula with look like :

SWITCH ( Product ,
“Classic”,
SWITCH ( Lang ,
“FR”, ‘Mail template…”
“NL”, ‘Mail template…”
“EN”, ‘Mail template…”
),
“Copro”,
SWITCH ( Lang ,
“FR”, ‘Mail template…”
“NL”, ‘Mail template…”
“EN”, ‘Mail template…”
),
“Office”,
SWITCH ( Lang ,
“FR”, ‘Mail template…”
“NL”, ‘Mail template…”
“EN”, ‘Mail template…”
),
)

Of course “Mail template” will be a HTML formatted, including variables, etc…

My questions are :

• Considering the size of the potential formula (I already made a valid test with 9 branchs and 40.000 chars total), should I anticipate issues ?
  • Would you recommend an other strategy ?

Thank you very much for you advices,

Regards,
Pierre-Louis

11 Replies 11

I’m so sorry I somehow missed your reply message! I wasn’t able to use a webhook because my HTML was above the amount of data that could be sent. So instead of a button, I used a checkbox to trigger that record into a new view which would trigger the email in zapier. Your post helped me SOOOOOO much! It seemed totally possible but I honestly wasn’t finding any use cases where someone was using airtable data as intensely as I needed to create the email. This solution saved me 3+ hours of work each day. I’m very grateful you shared!!!

Excellent ! Thanks for you feedback, I’m very glad it helps you!