1268 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anthony_Manniel
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a few columns in my base that are basically date fields that use a formula to automatically enter a date based on a previous column. I have a screenshot below. The example code is DATEADD({NoA Date},6,‘months’). This base tracks Appeal Cases for my law firm. Most things trickle off a previous column. When the NoA date has been set, the Perfection date is due 6 months later. What happens sometimes is the Perfection date would need to be changed because an extension was granted by the court. Once the column is set to a function, can I change manually change that date while leaving the NoA date alone? @ScottWorld Thank you very much for your time! Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.15.57 AM

5 Replies 5

Hi @Anthony_Manniello,

You can‘t directly type into a formula field, but you could create a brand new date field that is your “Override Date” field.

Then, your formula field could take that “override date” into consideration, like this:

IF(
{Override Date Field},{Override Date Field},
DATEADD({NoA Date},6,'months')
) 

Hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Anthony_Manniel
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I do follow but I’m not sure how it would work. The NoA date wouldn’t be changing. I believe in your Override date field, I’m changing the NoA in a separate column so that the Perfection takes the new date. Might be confusing to users viewing the chart seeing two NoA dates when it’s really on the perfection date that would need to be changed or am I completely wrong here and have no idea what i’m talking about?

Yes, you would need to create a new date field, but you can hide fields if you don’t want to see them on certain views. So your users could use a view where the new date field isn’t visible, while you use a view where the new date field is visible. Or, even better, you could simply toggle the visibility of the field every time you need to make a change.

Hiding the fields is a good idea but some cases will have extensions and some wont. We may just need to have them manually enter the time because it might just get too crazy with formulas and hiding/unhiding.

I really appreciate you helping me out on this though Scott. I learned a lot.

You’re welcome! Glad I could help! :slightly_smiling_face: