Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Multiple 'Link to another record' columns

55 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebua
1 - Visitor
1 - Visitor

I have two different tables in one data base.

Table A has a list of unique topics, and each of them is sorted into 'Categories' (via a single select column), and has linked records (from Table B), which represent unique people (it's a formula column though).

Table B has the list of unique people (formula column), and I'd like to create multiple columns, one for each category in Table A, to break up the topics corresponding to each person, by category.

When I create a second linked record for Topics in Table B, filtering by value, it's fully independent from my first linking (vs showing a subset of it). See attached.

The output I would like is, for row 1 in Table B, to see "Topic A" listed in the `Topic - X Category` column. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you so much!

2 Replies 2
DisraeliGears01
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hmm, well the way you want to start with this is by using a lookup field to display the categories tied to each person in Table B. The result of that lookup for Person 1 would be X,Y,Z since they are attached to Topic A, B, and E. 

If one consolidated field showing all relevant categories would work, you can stop there, using views and filters (or groups) to sort the rows, i.e. "X-View, Grid, Filter: Where Category contains X" etc. 

If you want to have independent columns for each category, I'd say you create them as formula fields and write formulas dependent on the category lookup field. So your Category X column is a field with a formula like if category lookup contains X, then Yes. Do the same for all your desired columns and hide the lookup master if you want.

Try creating one conditional lookup field per category in Table B: https://support.airtable.com/docs/conditional-counts-lookups-and-rollups