cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cadyellow
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello! 

I've got an inventory board ("Print Products") that has hundreds of products (each with variable quantities). I add new amounts of each product regularly (in "Order Received" and "Products Received" for individual line items). When I sell items they go in "Order Sold" (with "Products Sold" for individual line items).

The problem is, I move various amounts of various products between multiple locations. Sometimes they sell at a location, but sometimes they don't and I need to move unsold inventory around between locations. I created another table "Currently At" to try to keep track of how much inventory was at each location, but I'm finding it incredibly time consuming and tedious to input each quantity one line item at a time so that I can check in/check out the different quantities of each product. I was able to write an automation so that when I put something in "Products Sold" it automatically put it in "Currently At" with the correct quantity decrement. I can make forms for receiving, sold or updating the "Currently At" table, but each of these forms still only lets you put in one item at a time. When I take products to a location, I'm often taking 200 items that are requiring quantity changes of 1-5 each for several different products (decreasing the quantity from one location, adding it to another location). Has someone figured out a better system for how to move inventory between locations and update the tables? At the very least, is there a better automation for how to update the increase and decrease at the same time? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I'm a one-woman, fine art business and while I love tech, I'm much more comfortable with paintbrushes. Thank you! 

13 Replies 13
cadyellow

Okay, one more thing that's kind of seperate from this issue but related... 

I want to make labels for each product that I receive. I've read there's not a great way to link airtable with Avery Label templates, but I was able to design one with the Page Designer extension that will meet my needs. I wanted to use my "Received Products" table to make labels just for exactly what new products I was adding right then, only to discover that it was printing one label per line item regardless of the quantity. 

So I've now created another table for Labels and am trying to figure out an automation so that when I add a product into my "Received" table it will automatically add it to the "Labels" table but also duplicate it as many times as the quantity says. I've read a bunch of responses on the community and they're close but not quite the right answers for me. You've been so helpful, do you know a way I could do this? 

cadyellow

This is so great, but I'm still so confused how the automation works, especially if I don't want it to erase what's in my "Received" table. It seems like with this van example they want it to come back to zero after the automation runs. But how do I get it to duplicate the records without erasing my "Received" quantities back to zero? The link to the sample book table didn't include the automation details. 

cadyellow

Nevermind! I got it! I made some new columns that did the extra math and that did the trick. Thank you again!