1654 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grimi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi guys. I made a connection with Make, so I can transfer every incoming email from certain accounts to a new data row in Airtable.

The problems are the attachments. I am showing you in the pictures below how I would like them to appear and how they actually appears. We need every attachment to be shown in a preview as a separate file.. The Make-support thinks it is Airtable-problem, so I am grateful for any suggestion.

Regards, Imelda

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hi @Grimi,

Working with multiple attachments can be extremely tricky, because attachment fields in Airtable are "complex arrays" instead of "simple arrays".

I demonstrate how to work with multiple attachments on this Airtable podcast episode.

All of this uses Make's Airtable automations & integrations.

See Solution in Thread

12 Replies 12

When you send an attachment to Airtable via the API (such as when you are using Make’s Airtable automations & integrations), you need to give Airtable’s attachment field a URL of a publicly-accessible file.

So you might need to have Make upload your files to a cloud storage space first, so you can grab a public link from the cloud storage space to send to Airtable.

Also, working with multiple attachments can be tricky, so I show how to work with multiple attachments using Make in this Airtable podcast episode.

That's so interesting!  It looks like they successfully uploaded but the previews aren't loading.  Maybe it's something to do with the uploaded files not having a proper file extension?

Are you able to actually view the files via the attachment viewer in Airtable?  Could you provide screenshots of your Make set up?

As I mentioned above, this happens when the files aren’t located at a publicly accessible URL when sending to Airtable.  

Hi Scott 🙂

I watched the video you recomended (a couple of ties until I understood :)), it helped me a lot!

I have already made a connection through Make with Dropbox to upload the files, I do not think there is a problem.

However, my attachments are still not appearing as I would like them...

Maybe the problem is (see the picture bellow), the 'source' URL for the Iterator? I am really stucked, and spent a lot of times resolving this one and only problem.

https://eu2.make.com/290174/scenarios/666810/edit

Regards, Imelda

Grimi_0-1707231194152.png

I’m glad the video helped you!

You’ll need to make sure that the URL for the image is (1) publicly accessible and (2) that it’s a link to the actual file itself, not a Dropbox wrapper page that encloses the image. 

If the image is already publicly accessible, then you’re probably linking to the Dropbox wrapper page, not the image itself. You need to give the file path to the actual image itself, not Dropbox’s wrapper page.

Check out Make’s documentation on this at the bottom of this page:
https://www.make.com/en/help/app/dropbox?pc=scottworld

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld  

HI 🙂

Here are the screenshots:

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Like I mentioned above, you are not using the proper URL. Your URL doesn't lead to any files — your URL leads to a Dropbox web page wrapper surrounding the image, which is not a file. Check out the Make's documentation at the bottom of this page for how to solve this: https://www.make.com/en/help/app/dropbox?pc=scottworld

Thanks! That's an interesting setup.  Is that Text Parser parsing the download URLs from dropbox into a format the iterator can deal with or something?  The last time I tried using the "Upload a File" action for dropbox it only ever grabbed the first attachment in the email, so I have no idea how your set up's working hah.  It was Gmail though, so maybe there was a difference there

For what it's worth, I have a scenario that works with Gmail that grabs the attachment, uploads it into dropbox, and then uses the download URL to upload it into Airtable successfully, and the preview shows up fine, so on a technical level it's totally doable I guess. 

I think if I had multiple attachments I'd put the iterator right after the watch email action and then run the actions on each attachment, i.e. upload each attachment, create the share link, and then use the aggregator on all the share links, then have the Airtable create record action after

Some questions:
Are you able to actually view the files via the attachment viewer in Airtable?
Could I also confirm whether you can view the file previews on Dropbox?
Have you considered just using Zapier for this instead?  I think you wouldn't need to do all this uploading into Dropbox etc stuff, Zapier just creates the URL for you automatically so it'd probably just be a two step Zap:
1. New email received via Outlook
2. Create record in Airtable

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Personally, I would never recommend Zapier. Make is INFINITELY more powerful & customizable than Zapier, yet it is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER than Zapier.

I wrote an entire post here comparing Make vs. Zapier.

In any case, I already identified the problem in my 2 posts above, and already gave the solution in my 2 posts above.

p.s. If anybody reading this thread needs help from an expert Airtable consultant to help with any problems like this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld