1121 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teri_Dusold
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,  I am new to airtable and handling our base.  The person who built our base left out a column of data that is critical.  I need to know how I can import data from an excel file that adds the data needed instead of making all new entries.

Thank you for your help

7 Replies 7
bruceconsulting
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Teri, it depends on the table, the excel file, and the data that you want to add.  Can you give me more info?

Jody

Hey @Teri_Dusold

There is an extension that makes it really easy to import CSV formatted data and will avoid the creation of duplicate records in your table.
It's an Airtable published Extension called CSV import.
You'll want to create the field that was originally missing. It's pretty plug-and-play from there.

Let us know if you need additional help or guidance on handling the data mapping and import.

I must be doing it wrong because I tested it with 14 and it created 14 new records.  I have two columns on my excel file.  1 is the prospect Id (unique link for Airtable) and then the candidate Id that I need to be added to the record that matches the prospect id.  Hope that makes sense.

Yes, we have a full table built out and we are using a prospect Id as the unique identifier, however our ats system assigns a candidate number.  I need to update each persons record with their candidate id.  I want airtable to match the prospect Id on the excel sheet and add the candidate id to the matching record.  Hope this makes sense.  I am very new to all this fun data stuff.  LOL

Hey Teri,

Be sure to enable Merge with existing Records and then choose the fields to map.

0650A805-AFEB-42EF-83DE-15266008D48B.jpeg

https://support.airtable.com/docs/csv-import-extension

I have the merge with existing records selected and I double checked that the items are identical.  Instead of updating it created all new records.  Thoughts? 

Have you created the Candidate ID field in Airtable?