Help

Which is better: Single select vs Linked record?

273 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asa_Wu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I usually use linked record for choice option instead of single select, just in case of use with other tables. As my records keep growing, I am worried about the record limit.

Does number of choice in single select also count as record limit per table?

2 Replies 2
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Nope, the number of choices in a single select does not count towards the record limit per table / base

Irene_Pak1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

For me, the choice between whether to use Single Select or Linked Records (in another table) is largely pre-determined by whether the information in the field has related information that belongs in its own table (whether you bring that data in as Lookup fields or leave them in the linked table). 

Examples of data I would change to a single select field (if you had been setting these up in their own tables for some reason)

• progress status (Ready, Pending, Done, etc)
  • category groups (Tool Purchases, Rentals, Personnel)
  • options that trigger various automations

Examples of data I would keep in a linked table:

• Clients, since each client has related information (phone #, address, etc.)
  • Projects, same logic (project start/end date, budget, project lead, budget, etc.)

If you try to convert the second type of information to a Select field, you run the risk of having to, for example, re-enter the same email address each time you choose a particular Client from a Select field... this leads to loss of data integrity pretty quickly when you have many instances of that Client in your base.