1217 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kel_Asp
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello all, my Friday afternoon brain just can’t get my head around this. I have a large database set up for our members and need to add new functionality to it. I have duplicated the base to try and nut it out.

I need a column that is for ‘past groups’, of which people could have been in several. I then need another column that relates to current or non current member based on these groups.

So Member 1 was in group 1, group 2, group 3
Member 2 was in group 2, group 3, group 4
Member 3 was in group 4

if group 1 ended 2016, group 2 ended 2020, group 3 ends 2022 and group 4 ends 2023

So the current member should only be showing yes if the member is in either group 3 or 4

I am not even sure if that makes sense. I need to set up a view for current members but don’t want to manually change each, I need a way to automate it based on the group they are in.

I have tried looking at classroom-type databases, but just can’t work out how to automate that current & past option based on a group date.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kel, yeap, we would just need to modify the formula field to something like

IF(
  IS_AFTER(TODAY(), {Running Date}),
)

You can duplicate the base to view all the formulas that were used!

I’ve also updated the original base to use dates like you wanted, so you can check that out if you want!

See Solution in Thread

9 Replies 9

Hey Kel, hmm, I’m not entirely sure whether I understand this, so apologies in advance if I’ve got something wrong

Check this base out

Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 1.44.56 PM
Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 1.44.51 PM

Is this sort of what we’re trying to achieve?

Hi Adam, thanks for your reply and the example. Yep, that is the type of thing I am after, I was trying to achieve something using dates. So the running dates of the groups determine if they are active or not. We have a membership that is relative to the running groups/shows. So people are only active members if they are in a current show or they are a life member. If that makes sense.

So did you use formulas in that base? Could it be made dependent on a date?

Hi Kel, yeap, we would just need to modify the formula field to something like

IF(
  IS_AFTER(TODAY(), {Running Date}),
)

You can duplicate the base to view all the formulas that were used!

I’ve also updated the original base to use dates like you wanted, so you can check that out if you want!

Thank you again Adam. This is awesome :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo
Sorry just wanted to quickly revisit this. I Would also like to have a ‘teacher’ column for this.
So in the top screenshot, the group tab, there would also be a list of teachers alongside members, all relating back to the member list.

I got this working by doing another linked field. However, when using the roll-up it only shows active or inactive for the member column not the teacher column. If that makes sense?

Check Here to see my example based on your previous help.

Thank you again :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Kel, could you tell me more about why you need it to be in a separate linked field? What issues do we face when using a single select field to denote whether the person is a member or a teacher?

Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 2.17.14 PM

In this instance, I am using it for cast and production teams. Sometimes a member can be in the cast of one show, and then at a later date be on the production team of another. So I don’t want to give a specific type to each member.

So in the example I linked to (an edit of what I copied from you originally), a member could be either a teacher or a participant.

And the inactive based on Date only seems to be carrying over for the column of members, not the teachers.

In the instance of Member 1, they were in group 1 & 2 which are now inactive, but now they are a teacher in Group 4, which is active. However they are still showing as inactive on the main table.
Does that make sense?

Hi Kel, ahh, got it, thank you for the explanation.

I’ve updated the original base to handle this. We would need to have one rollup field per linked field, and then use a formula field to check the values of them both.

If you’re open to it, I would suggest creating a new table called Participation or some such, where you input participation data. We’d get the same outcome, and it would be a clearer set up that would allow you to add more details per participation if you needed to.

I’ve set it up here for you to have a look at.
Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 5.31.09 PM
Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 5.31.06 PM
Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 5.31.02 PM

Thank you again! Brilliant. The first edit does exactly what I need, but will also look over the other offering. Thanks so much :slightly_smiling_face: