Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Add new record from linked field in an interface form

1151 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonmaster
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have the following case history:
a base with multiple tables interconnected with each other;
I've created an interface form to populate one of these tables;
In this interface I have a field that allows me to select a record linked to another table;
In this field, again from the interface, I have the possibility to choose only existing records;
Is there a way to add, from the interface form, a new record directly from the field with the drop-down list?

create new record in linked field.jpg

Directly from table this is possible, but not from the interface form or any form view.

add linked record from data.jpg

Many thanks

3 Replies 3
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

No, that is not possible with Airtable’s forms, but you have 3 good workarounds for this:

1. Give your users a link to click on which takes them to another form to add the linked record.

2. Give your users a fake linked record that is named something like “CREATE NEW RECORD”. And then, if they choose that option, reveal additional fields for them to type the new information. And then, after the form is submitted, run an automation to create the new record. Personally, I do not like this method, because it adds extra clutter & overhead to your base.

3. Use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which enables you to add new linked records from a form, and about 100 other advanced Airtable features, such as displaying as many fields as you want in a linked record picker, displaying Airtable lookup fields and rollup fields and formulas on a form, updating Airtable records from a form, and much more.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

MattPowerhouse
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Our company is having the same problem. This should be an option in Airtable Forms. It's a common situation.

My guess is that Airtable must be working on it, since it’s such a common request that comes up all the time. 

However, be sure to send an email to support@airtable.com to request this feature, and in the meantime, you can just use Fillout.