808 12
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tombon101
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I work with a team and we have a field that we write notes in it (I don't like the comments section), the field type in Long text. It is very easy to accidentally delete contact from it. 

I want to defend it from this by demanding the user to manual saving the changes in the field, i mean like without auto save, that a user will have to hit Save button in order to modify the content. 

Is it possible? and if so, is there any built-in tool that i can do it with or we will need code / other external tool. 
By the way i know that we can Undo actions with Ctrl+Z but the problem is that we are not always notice that we've accedantlly deleting something. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Once you duplicate it to your own workspace you'll be able to see that.  Here's Airtable's guide on how to duplicate bases: https://support.airtable.com/docs/creating-a-new-empty-base#duplicating-airtable-bases

See Solution in Thread

12 Replies 12

Assuming your original long text field is called "Notes", you can try:
1. Create another long text field called "Text to add" or some such
2. Create a checkbox field called "Add to Notes"
3. Create an automation that will trigger when the checkbox field is ticked, and its action will be to add the text from the "Text to add" field to the "Notes" field, as well as clear the "Text to add" and checkbox field

That a great idea! thank you!

But is they any way to additionally defend the "Notes" field contact from being deleting or at least get a notification about it.
The thing is that i want users to be able to add contact freely but no to delete an existing one. 

Hmm, if you're on a paid plan you can set a field permission so that no one can modify it except an automation, which I think would do what you want? 

Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 7.37.41 PM.png

Actually after checking some more option i rather to just cancale the auto save, is there any way to do that?

I don't think that's possible I'm afraid

I see, I'm having a problem setting the automation you suggest, do you happen to have a guide that shows how to do something similar to that?

Ah sorry, I don't have a guide for that.  I've put it together in a base here so that you can try to replicate it though!

Screen Recording 2024-05-29 at 8.05.17 PM.gif

First this thank you very much, i'm really appraiser it.
Is the automation works for real in this base or you just want to explain the format? If it is work so i really like to view the fiels type and details.

can you please grant me permissions to see your automation? i want to replicate it on my env.