300 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ids
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

New to Airtable and had the webinar getting started with Airtable. However, my work will be to read and write data from a 3rd party app. Generally data will be pushed and pulled from the 3rd party app/website.

The method to push and pull the data will be similar to the CURL examples in the docs. Seems straight forward.

Overall

My general question: any suggestions or insight for best practice, etc. 

Detail

To get specific, I have created a couple Bases in my account as well as a Personal Key. Looking at the API call to List Records I need the BaseID. Looking in my account I don't see this info attached to the Base. My assumption then, I'll need to use List Bases to be able to List Records on a specific Base. Will I need to use this process every time? Storing this info into a local table on the 3rd party app is an option. So is it possible the IDs might change during the life of the base/table/record?

Case Study

Here's a typical scenario. Categories on the 3rd party app are fluid. They change frequently. The latest data is stored/updated in the Clients AirTable base. The assumed procedure will be to use a script to List Records of that base in Airtable, process the JSON returned from that request into the 3rd party format to update the Categories on the live site.

Tokens

Do I need to create a personal token for each of the different scopes? Is there a one size fits all scope? And related because feel like I am missing some context, when exactly do I need to use OAuth access instead of a personal token?

Thank You,

Scott  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simonweigold
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Finding the BaseIDs using the API might make sense if you are dealing with a lot of bases. You can find the BaseID of a given base as a part of its URL as well - which might make more sense if you are only dealing with a limited number of bases. I have dealt with BaseIDs and TableIDs in a similar way before by storing them separately on my machine. This makes it easier to systematically reference them in API calls.

IDs usually do not change. According to some users here on this forum (https://community.airtable.com/t5/other-questions/record-id-changed/td-p/113803), I would be careful about the RecordIDs however. You might want to add a separate column in your tables to create your own IDs.

Your approach to handle changes between airtable and your third party app sounds solid. If you are the only user, then personal tokens work just fine (you can define the scope of the token and which bases it can access). If you need more control, looking into OAuth integrations might make sense.

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
simonweigold
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Finding the BaseIDs using the API might make sense if you are dealing with a lot of bases. You can find the BaseID of a given base as a part of its URL as well - which might make more sense if you are only dealing with a limited number of bases. I have dealt with BaseIDs and TableIDs in a similar way before by storing them separately on my machine. This makes it easier to systematically reference them in API calls.

IDs usually do not change. According to some users here on this forum (https://community.airtable.com/t5/other-questions/record-id-changed/td-p/113803), I would be careful about the RecordIDs however. You might want to add a separate column in your tables to create your own IDs.

Your approach to handle changes between airtable and your third party app sounds solid. If you are the only user, then personal tokens work just fine (you can define the scope of the token and which bases it can access). If you need more control, looking into OAuth integrations might make sense.