cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry_Harris
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello,
I was working on a fetch to a site to retrieve JSON data with Basic Authentication. I got around the CORS block by setting " mode: ‘no-cors’" in my call to fetch. But I ran into a more serious problem. My calls to fetch() are not returning any data even if successful. Here’s my test program:
var url = ‘https://www.google.com/thisshouldfail’;
var url2 = ‘https://www.google.com/’;

var response = await fetch(url, {method:'GET', mode: 'no-cors'});
var response2 = await fetch(url2, {method:'GET', mode: 'no-cors'});

output.inspect(response);
output.text(response.status);

output.inspect(response2);
output.text(response2.status);

The output to this running is:
{}

{}

Looking at the browser’s network log I see the calls return the correct HTTP codes:
GENERAL:
Request URL: https://www.google.com/thisshouldfail
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 200
Remote Address: 172.217.9.228:443
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade

GENERAL:
Request URL: https://www.google.com/
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 200 
Remote Address: 172.217.9.228:443
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade

The fetch() function call is not returning either 404 or 200 codes, nor the results of the successful call to google.com.

Is there another flag I need to get this to work?

13 Replies 13

Hi @Jerry_Harris,

Not sure why your tests are failing, but it could be something to do with the Google domain which is a heavily guarded domain. I suspect the folks at Google are not amused by anyone testing API calls on their domain address.

Here are the results of two GET tests I whipped up in script block. One calls an API that returns a JSON a list of dog breeds. The other is a JSONP web service that simply returns a payload with whatever parameters you call it with. You should be able to just drop this in and run it to examine the responses.

This is the code I quickly hacked together …

//
// simple http get test (Airtable example)
//
output.markdown('## Simple HTTP GET Test (Airtable Example)');

const response = await fetch('https://dog.ceo/api/breeds/list/all');
const jsonTest = await response.json();
output.inspect(jsonTest);

// establish the cgp web service endpoint
let gcpUrl = "https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbxGO0QVOYEiiBkseEh3AUSnHFMpS0OXidRtAUMTNIjj_EaFdBo/exec";

//
// http get test (from GCP)
//
output.markdown('## HTTP GET Test (from GCP)');

getOptions = {
    method: "get",
    headers: {
        'Accept'       : 'application/json',
    }
}

getResults = await fetch(gcpUrl + "?field=name&value=Bill%20French", getOptions);
const getJson    = await getResults.json();

output.markdown("Display JSON Object");
output.inspect(getJson);
output.markdown(getJson.field + " = " + getJson.value);

Notice that @Bill.French is not directly outputting the response from the fetch.
He is taking an additional step of converting the response to something meaningful (in this case json). Notice that he has to await this conversion process.

Your code is trying to directly output the response, which contains the body of the data, but isn’t directly the data itself. Think of it as a package that you need to unwrap when you order something online. If you order a pencil and get it delivered, you can’t start writing with the pencil as soon as it arrives–you have to first take it out of the box. How you unwrap the package depends on the type of data in it.

• response.text() – read the response and return as text,
  • response.json() – parse the response as JSON,
  • response.blob() – return the response as Blob

A super-important step because parsing can take a little time. :winking_face:

Thanks, Bill. Your script works for me, except when I modify the Options by adding mode: ‘no-cors’:
getOptions = {
method: “get”,
mode: ‘no-cors’, // added by me
headers: {
‘Accept’ : ‘application/json’,
}
}

Then, Airtable returns {} even though Chrome’s developer tools report that the URL succeeded with a 200 status.

I need the ‘no-cors’ for the real project I’m working on. I want to grab data from our Jira instance and create a new version. If I don’t put in mode: ‘no-cors’, it fails with the preflight check b/c Jira’s website does not response with Access-Control-Allow-Origin “*” in its header. (It doesn’t have that Header item.) But all my tests so far have shown that adding mode: ‘no-cors’ fails to return any data from the call, even when Chrome’s debugger shows the call worked.

I can’t find any documentation whether Airtable is suppose to support ‘no-cors’. It either doesn’t, or it’s a bug.

Thanks again for your help.
Jerry

Okay - well, that’s a little deeper and complex question because there are many endpoints for Jira data and they behave differently. Which one are you using?

This is a security requirement your browser is enforcing. CORS errors are only caused because your browser notes that the domain for the URL you’re requesting does NOT match the domain for the URL you are currently on. In a script block context, you are running script in the client, not in a server context, so this error restriction expected.

I believe it’s often (not always) a mistake to disable CORS as it exposes some key security features that protect more than simply your client (i.e., your web browser running Airtable and script blocks).

Perhaps you have seen this article describing the conditions that allow a client-side request. Or maybe this one?

Hi Bill,
The endpoint I’m attempting to access is :
https://{myCompanyName}.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/project/{projectId}/versions

I have seen the OAuth documentation at Atlassian and am aware OAuth2 is more secure than an API key and Basic Auth. I wanted to do a quick experiment to determine if this would work within an Airtable script block first. I was hoping setting mode: no-cors would work. As I pointed out above, the call does go through to the server but no data is returned to my airtable script,

Do you have any knowledge of an OAuth2 API call working from within a script block? It will require user confirmation to complete the OAuth dance. Is this something Airtable will allow? I’m not confident it will.

Thanks again for your time and help. I suppose my next step would be to spin up a small server that proxies the call to Atlassian.

Regards,
Jerry

Hello Yvonne,
I had noticed that difference and tried it to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jerry

I have never had the occasion to integrate via oAuth2 (in Script Blocks) but I suspect it can be done.

Um, this is not true actually. We build all sorts of oAuth2 integrations that are fully automated. The “dance” can be orchestrated in a manner that does not require human interaction.

Unfortunately, there’s is nothing about oAuth2 that is quick or simple.

If that’s the plan, one must ask - why even use the script block at the headwater of the integration process? Might be better to just spin up an integration layer in a free Google Apps Script project where it can be fully automated and secure. Or, use Zapier or Integromat.

Hi Bill,
Thanks again for your help. It seems Jira implements only 3lo oauth v2 and they seem pretty explicit about requiring a user to grant authorization to Jira resources. This was going to be a convenience feature so not worth spending more time on.

Thanks for the tips on using Google apps or Zapier or Integromat. If I re-visit this, I’ll look at those options.

Regards,
Jerry

It’s a shame you’ve had to give up on this - pretty sure Jira is giving you an incomplete picture of their authentication protocols because I create many integrations with Jira and they pervasively support a thorough authentication process for User Impersonation. Their 3lo page even links to User Impersonation as an option.

I’m not trying to push you to drive down this pathway further, but I’m really sharing this for other users who land here looking for a glimmer of light at the end of the integration tunnel.

Mike_Pennisi
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Another note for other folks reading along: the no-cors request mode is almost never what you want. That circumvents CORS restrictions, but it severely limits the usefulness of the response. In particular: it makes the response body inaccessible to JavaScript.

This page has a more thorough explanation:

Indeed, this is not something you want to get good at. :winking_face: Often, we see “hurdles” and blindly try to knock them down only to discover that the tech we’re whacking is the drawbridge that keeps the alligators outside the castle walls.

Mike,
Thanks for the link. I had a poor understanding of “no-cors” and thought it was not working within Airtable.

I am tempted to set up the cors-proxy referenced in that article for this use case. But for now I’m focused on writing a Data Dictionary generation and update script for our tables and fields. I’m finding that colleagues at work have difficulty knowing where a given field is defined, especially when the field is linked into several other tables.

Cheers,
Jerry