Help

How do I connect two tables? (Node / NextJS)

Topic Labels: API
2018 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legendairy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi this might be a fairly beginner question, and more programming specific than Airtable but if anyone could help, I’d appreciate it.

When I make a request to my base and main table, I’m able to get a response but within it are only ID’s of linked records on other tables. I can’t figure out how to get the actual data within the arrays.

For example, instead of IDs in the authors array, I’d like to get the actual data within the Authors table there. I figure I’d make a request to the Authors table, and then have to group them together with map & find somehow. Same for Genre.

{1 id: "recYt9GrRjvpVcX0p" fields: { subtitle: "How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter" Thoughts: "Best book ever yay" Start Date: "2021-01-11" Status: "Completed" End Date: "2021-01-14" Authors: ["recquUajrIfbpR6vU"] Genre: ["rechPpsFS3LQyaZkg"] title: "Dollars and Sense" Days to Complete: 3}

I’d appreciate the help.

5 Replies 5
ezeikel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Been using Airtable as the database to work with our Node API for about a year and we’ve just created our own populate() function which takes these linked IDs and does another fetch to Airtable to grab those linked records and merge it back into the object.

As you can imagine this can result in some really slow response times based on your data and how many linked records you are trying to return and “populate”

This is how we’re doing it but would love to know if there is an easier/more performant way to do this

We hit the same snag! SQL makes this kind of query super easy so we built a service:

Check it out - would love to hear what you think.

Thank you! To my understanding, I hook up Airtable to Sync, write the SQL queries, and then use Sync as my main endpoint?

I can’t say it’s the most ideal, as I assume it affects delivery time but I’m happy to try it out. Thank you

Thanks for checking it out @legendairy!

So far, it’s looking like we are as fast or faster than the API on reads :rabbit: especially for the kinds of nested calls (i.e. lookups) that you’re looking for.

Appreciate it!

Query Airtable with all the power of SQL.

Hey @Eric_Goldman1, that seam to be a very useful feature with several performance and usability reasons to be used

I just went to the link hopping to get there, but unfortunately Airtable integration is to be launched yet
I got into the waiting list!
Hope to see it working soon
Thanks!