2433 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Team_Clear_Heal
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to know the IP of my airtable account. I want to call an API from airtable using Zapier automation. The third party needs to whitelist my IP so that i can call the API. Any help is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

My hunch is the “third-party” is concerned about security?

In your description you mention Zapier which will actually be making calls into Airtable’s API. If so, why would whitelisting Airtable’s API accomplish anything?

Welcome to the community, @Team_Clear_Health! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: There is no IP for your Airtable account. IP addresses are tied to hardware, not software or online services.

To piggyback on what @Bill.French said, if you’re using Zapier to make the call, then you might need to send them a Zapier server IP address, not something related to Airtable. Even though Zapier will send the data to Airtable, it’s all being driven by Zapier’s automation, so the request is coming from their server.

I haven’t made API calls to many services yet, but I haven’t yet seen one that wants to know an IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1). Most of the time they want to know what domain is making the call (e.g. airtable.com, zapier.com, etc.). Could you share more details about the service you’re calling?

And therein lay the deeper challenge - server IPs in SaaS platforms are difficult to pin down because they change frequently - sometimes because of load; sometimes because of security. But in any case, whitelisting is typically not a wise choice for enhancing security for integration. While it reduces the number of attack surfaces, it signals a specific and predictable pathway for hackers.

IP Addresses can be ‘spoofed’ using virtual private networking (VPN) technology. Whitelisting a vendor’s IP address that gets continually blocked would stop the vendor from getting blocked but it would also stop potential intruders from getting blocked too.