Help

Re: Is it good SEO practice to serve Airtable images in WordPress site?

1235 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Keysers
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m creating a WordPress catalog site, of which the products are stored in an Airtable database. This base remains the core of all our products, and with the use of a custom import script I’m pulling in the right data from Airtable to WordPress.

Now I’m wondering whether I should also import all images (which are stored in the Airtable product records as well) to the WordPress media library (thus duplicating them), or whether I can just use the Airtable image urls which the api is giving me. An inspection of an Airtable image url (with httpstatus.io/) tells me that Airtable serves them from Amazon S3 via Cloudfront.

On one hand I’m thinking it’s a good idea to use the airtable img urls because:

• They appear to be cdn-served and therefore faster and therefore good seo value
  • it spares me importing hassle and hosting space

On the other hand, I also have some concerning thoughts about doing so:

• dl.airtable.com is nowhere near the domain name of the wp site. Therefore google will punish you?
  • WordPress will not be able to push them into the image sitemap.I might be able to code that in though. Would it be worth trying so?

I should be able to do both things, I’m just wondering which one is best SEO practice (if there is any notable difference).

3 Replies 3

Per this topic, Airtable does not support being used as a CDN for images in attachments.

Thanks @kuovonne! That’s already something very important I should bear in mind.

Hello Tom, 

I am thinking about making Airtable my PIM solution and use it as my products database.

Did you figure it out if it was good in terms of SEO ? 

Thanks 🙂