Help

Re: Multi Select Date Picker to Create Bulk Records Possible?

754 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I am just curious if it is possible to write a script that uses a multi select date picker calendar to create bulk records with same details via script.

Use case - I want to create jobs on specific dates, times, locations, etc. in bulk. I can see this being used for a ton of different use cases though.

Example -

• Select Multiple Dates with Calendar Picker - (1/13, 1/20, 1/21)

Shift #1:

• Enter Employee Quantity per date - (2)
    Fields (option to pick the fields that need data added)
  1. Enter Location - (123 Main St)
  2. Enter Start Time - (07:00)
  3. Enter End Time - (15:00)
    + add another field

Shift #2:

• Enter Employee Quantity per date - (1)
  1. Enter Location - (123 Main St)
  2. Enter Start Time - (09:00)
  3. Enter End Time - (17:00)
  4. Enter Event - (Basketball)
    + add another field

+ add another shift

So my created records would be a total of 9 records:

1. 1/13 - 0700-1500 - 123 Main St
  2. 1/13 - 0700-1500 - 123 Main St
  3. 1/13 - 0900-1700 - 123 Main St - Basketball
  4. 1/20 - 0700-1500 - 123 Main St
  5. 1/20 - 0700-1500 - 123 Main St
  6. 1/20 - 0900-1700 - 123 Main St - Basketball
  7. 1/21 - 0700-1500 - 123 Main St
  8. 1/21 - 0700-1500 - 123 Main St
  9. 1/21 - 0900-1700 - 123 Main St - Basketball

Thanks!
Nick

5 Replies 5
RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Also, work with linked records & single/multi select and have drop down to search like in airtable.

Example:

• Enter Employee Quantity per date - ( 1 )
  1. Enter Location - ( 123 Main St )
  2. Enter Start Time - ( 09:00 )
  3. Enter End Time - ( 17:00 )
  4. Enter Event - ( Basketball )
  5. Customer Linked Record - (MICROSOFT)
    + add another field

It’s technically possible, but using the current API it wouldn’t be pretty. For one, a date picker doesn’t exist (yet). One could be hacked together using a collection of buttons, but there’s no way to control their layout. They just pack together side-by-side, wrapping to new rows based on the sidebar width. There are probably other ways of doing this, but they’re all workarounds of various types. This is a great use case for a custom app, though.

Thanks Justin, that is what I was afraid of with the date picker :frowning:

Do you think would be possible by using the current single date picker multiple times?

Example:
Pick Date(s):
1/13/21
1/20/21
1/21/21
+ add another date

Perhaps you misread my comment. A date picker for scripts doesn’t exist. The date picker you see for date fields is not currently available to use in scripts. We all hope it’ll get added someday, but for now the only way for a script to ask a user to pick a date is to either present a text input and parse the result, or build a button-based input system of some kind. The first is prone to errors based on how the user types the date, and the button-driven options are just ugly and cumbersome, though a lot less error-prone.

That’s why I said that a custom app would be a better way to go. I haven’t yet developed a custom Airtable app myself, but my understanding from conversations I’ve had with others is that there’s a date widget that can be used in the custom app UI. Whether that date widget is a native Airtable app element or a third-party script, I’m not sure.

Sorry I did misread your comment. I was thinking there was a single select picker, just not a multi select date picker. I will look into the custom app route. Thanks for your help.