Help

Running an automation when a record is updated but not as a result of an automation

Topic Labels: Scripting extentions
1223 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yaniv_Amesllem-
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi!

I have created an automation that runs each time a record of certain field is updated, in the automation I update some of the other records of the same field through a script . Is there a way I can make sure the automation won’t run again if the records are being changed from the script and not by a user in the UI ?

Thanks for any help!
Yaniv

2 Replies 2

Hi,

I’m not sure how automation reacts on it’s own update step, but it will certainly reacts on update by script. If it works as multiplier, you are at risk to run chain reaction, which starts hundreds of new automation runs, mostly in a kind of pending state, which then ‘resolve’ for quite a long time.
So, test it well before turning ON. I can’t suggest solution without details, but when I encounter such kind of problem, I usually changed kind of trigger and it’s parameters. ‘When record matches condition’ usually fits better for me. If your condition is very complex and Automation editor is not flexible enough, you can use a formula.

Yaniv_Amesllem-

Thanks for your answer @Alexey_Gusev

Eventually I was able to solve my problem adding another last modification by field that watches the field in the automation. Than in the automation I perform the action as conditional action only if the last modification by is not Automations.