cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Howard_Shaw
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
Hi Folks,
I have come up with a workaround for not being able to filter on query within scripting automations. Since you can query on a view but views can't be adjusted via the API either we use a view that has a checkbox and then check the box through update records and uncheck when done.  This is useful when you have a list of records from a linked field more than a dyanamic filter.  It is also still best to filter the records that are returned to ensure they do meet your criteria but greatly reduces the number of records returned.  
First we use this async function to make the object for updates:

​async function setAutomationFlags(table, recordIds, flagValue) {
  const automationFlags = recordIds.map(recordId => ({
    id: recordId.id,
    fields: { "Automations": flagValue }
  }));
  await updateRecordsInChunks(table, automationFlags);
}  

updateRecordsInChunks is another function that takes an array and slices it:

const chunkArray = function (arrayToChunk, chunkSize = 50) {
  const arraysOfChunks = []
  for (var i = 0; i < arrayToChunk.length; i += chunkSize)
    arraysOfChunks.push(arrayToChunk.slice(i, i + chunkSize))
  return arraysOfChunks
}

const updateRecordsInChunks = async function (table, records) {
    const arrayOfChunks = chunkArray(records)
    for (const chunkOfRecords of arrayOfChunks) {
      const updateResult = await table.updateRecordsAsync(chunkOfRecords)
      //console.info(`🔁  Updated ${chunkOfRecords.length} record(s) in the '${table.name}' table`)
    }
  }

and here is how it's called:

await setAutomationFlags(someTable, someRecords, true)

await setAutomationFlags(someTable, someRecords, null)

I hope this can be of use to others and would also welcome any questions or feedback.  If you've come up with other workarounds that would be great to see as well.
Best case would be Airtable adding the filterByFormula as an option here though which would greatly improve the efficiency.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for sharing your workaround. It is interesting to see different solutions to common problems.

Are you using these scripts in an automation script, scripting extension, or both? If you are using this in scripting automation, does the checkbox trigger some other automation, or is the filtered view used in a later action within the same automation?

Although it isn't possible to filter records in the selectRecordsAsync() query, it is possible to filter the returned records from the query result using JavaScript. Can you explain why you choose to use a view instead of filtering records in JavaScript?

It looks like your system takes an array of record IDs as an input. Is there a reason why you do not specify those record IDs in your selectRecordsAsync() call? If you have less than 100 record IDs, you can get all the records in one call. If you have more than 100 record IDs, you can get them in batches of 100. (Although if I expect anything close to 100, I tend to just query the entire table and then filter down to the records I want, unless I am worried about other limitations.)

How do you make sure that different scripts running at the same time do not have conflicts in setting/clearing the checkbox field? Do you use a different checkbox field for each automation?

I notice that your script does not clear any checkboxes that may be already selected. Is this why you recommend filtering the records from the view again? 

How fast does this system run compared to other methods? I would expect that filtering in JavaScript would be faster than updating records and then querying a view. 

My gut feeling is that this system is more complex than I would want to maintain, but since you designed the system, maybe that is not an issue for you.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for sharing your workaround. It is interesting to see different solutions to common problems.

Are you using these scripts in an automation script, scripting extension, or both? If you are using this in scripting automation, does the checkbox trigger some other automation, or is the filtered view used in a later action within the same automation?

Although it isn't possible to filter records in the selectRecordsAsync() query, it is possible to filter the returned records from the query result using JavaScript. Can you explain why you choose to use a view instead of filtering records in JavaScript?

It looks like your system takes an array of record IDs as an input. Is there a reason why you do not specify those record IDs in your selectRecordsAsync() call? If you have less than 100 record IDs, you can get all the records in one call. If you have more than 100 record IDs, you can get them in batches of 100. (Although if I expect anything close to 100, I tend to just query the entire table and then filter down to the records I want, unless I am worried about other limitations.)

How do you make sure that different scripts running at the same time do not have conflicts in setting/clearing the checkbox field? Do you use a different checkbox field for each automation?

I notice that your script does not clear any checkboxes that may be already selected. Is this why you recommend filtering the records from the view again? 

How fast does this system run compared to other methods? I would expect that filtering in JavaScript would be faster than updating records and then querying a view. 

My gut feeling is that this system is more complex than I would want to maintain, but since you designed the system, maybe that is not an issue for you.

Howard_Shaw
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@kuovonne so many questions 😀.  The primary reason I wasn't using this as an option in the selectRecordsAsync function was I actually didn't realize it existed.  I now see it in the documentation, it's just not shown in the example code.  Partially why I posted this was to see if there were other options.  I did find that this method works well and much faster than not pre-filtering and there are multiple cases where we need more than 100 records but rarely more than a few hundred.  I'm going to play around with this and see which offers better performance.   Perhaps I can make an asyc function that uses promises and slices up the array of record IDs into batches of 100 tossing them into 1 array.  Looks like I have a small side project for the weekend.

to your question about ensuring we get the records we're looking for, I map what records are returned and filter those on the various conditions to ensure it's just the records I need.  

The speed gained isn't so much in filtering the records via JavaScript, it's more about API timeouts when we have a table with 10k+ records.  

Thanks for taking the time to review and giving me a different idea on how to approach this!

I made the modifications to selectRecords using the recordIds as well as promises, and it looks like it's reducing the execution time by about 50%!  Here are the helper functions I'm using now:

// Helper function from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8495687/split-array-into-chunks
const chunkArray = (arrayToChunk, chunkSize = 50) => {
  const arraysOfChunks = [];
  for (let i = 0; i < arrayToChunk.length; i += chunkSize) {
    arraysOfChunks.push(arrayToChunk.slice(i, i + chunkSize));
  }
  return arraysOfChunks;
};

// Helper functions that take a table reference and array of un-chunked records
// and update/create the records in chunks
const createRecordsInChunks = async (table, records) => {
  const arrayOfChunks = chunkArray(records);
  const promises = arrayOfChunks.map(chunk => table.createRecordsAsync(chunk));